There is a thread for that.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2006, 11:18:14 AM »
Also, no repo-man for brains.

Sure. It goes by "BigLaw".

Alas, that's not in the cards, long term at least.

On the subject of post-grad employment, my adviser has some interesting advice.  For what I want to do, she said the best thing to do would be to get a supreme court clerkship.  Of course, I should get a feeder one first.  For that, incredible grades and law review would be expected.  Thanks adviser.  You're great.  She said the same thing to a classmate of mine who is interested in an entirely different field.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2006, 11:23:23 AM »

On the subject of post-grad employment, my adviser has some interesting advice.  For what I want to do, she said the best thing to do would be to get a supreme court clerkship.  Of course, I should get a feeder one first.  For that, incredible grades and law review would be expected.  Thanks adviser.  You're great.  She said the same thing to a classmate of mine who is interested in an entirely different field.

hehehe

oh, and another little nugget for you - - have a relative that knows someone on the supreme court.

redemption

« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2006, 11:26:26 AM »

lol. Gotta love advisors.

redemption

« Reply #284 on: November 24, 2006, 11:27:03 AM »
god, i hate law school

Why? The kids or the material?

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 24, 2006, 11:30:01 AM »

hehehe

oh, and another little nugget for you - - have a relative that knows someone on the supreme court.

Yea... If there were a democrat in the white house, I had a chance.

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 24, 2006, 11:41:17 AM »

Hmm.  Recent graduates really do make far better advisors. 

Who'd have thunk it?

Academia, right? 

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 24, 2006, 11:42:57 AM »

Who'd have thunk it?

Academia, right? 

Yea, academia for me, appellate litigation for a friend.  It certainly helps for both (golden ticket?), but is necessary for neither.  I think that COA clerkship is a prereq for appellate lit., but not necessarily for academia (many more ways to skin that cat). In any case, I'll probably go for a clerkship if I can.

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 24, 2006, 11:49:25 AM »

Who'd have thunk it?

Academia, right? 

Yea, academia for me, appellate litigation for a friend.  It certainly helps for both (golden ticket?), but is necessary for neither.  I think that COA clerkship is a prereq for appellate lit., but not necessarily for academia (many more ways to skin that cat). In any case, I'll probably go for a clerkship if I can.

I don't know about appellate litigation, but my bro has a very interesting argument about why clerkships are overrated generally. 

The exceptions, of course, are academia and future federal judiciary. 

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 24, 2006, 11:54:01 AM »
I don't know about appellate litigation, but my bro has a very interesting argument about why clerkships are overrated generally. 

The exceptions, of course, are academia and future federal judiciary. 

My exposure leads me to believe that they're pretty important for a certain elite (er, elitist) segment of the public interest world as well.  It's difficult to get a job at a fancy impact litigation shop without either a great fellowship or a high-level clerkship.  About three-quarters of the lawyers at my old office, for instance, had either a Skadden or similar (we have a dedicated fellowship with another V100) or a CoA/SCOTUS clerkship (if not both).