Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

redemption

Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2006, 04:33:52 PM »
Yes, I dislike the redneck culture immensely, but I wasn’t really referring to culture, only class in an economic sense. Culture is much more stagnant than class and often stays ingrained in people hundreds if not thousands of years.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you want to have a class/culture discussion?

Dude. That's what I'm saying. Class isn't your bank account. That's why they have the word rich instead. That kind of aspirational thinking is itself a class-based tic. If I beome a banker, or if I earn 300K, I'll be middle class. No, not really. You'll be a rich prole. The UES people would be appalled at the thought of their daughter marrying you, just as they would be appalled at the thought of a blinged-out Diddy type. That's the way things are. Money's one thing, social class is another thing. See what I mean? In England, lots of chavs earn more than lots of middle class people, but they're still chavs. Same thing. But, and here's the important part, they think that theyre middle class. They're not.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2006, 04:35:39 PM »
Yes, I dislike the redneck culture immensely, but I wasn’t really referring to culture, only class in an economic sense. Culture is much more stagnant than class and often stays ingrained in people hundreds if not thousands of years.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you want to have a class/culture discussion?

Dude. That's what I'm saying. Class isn't your bank account. That's why they have the word rich instead. That kind of aspirational thinking is itself a class-based tic. If I beome a banker, or if I earn 300K, I'll be middle class. No, not really. You'll be a rich prole. The UES people would be appalled at the thought of their daughter marrying you, just as they would be appalled at the thought of a blinged-out Diddy type. That's the way things are. Money's one thing, social class is another thing. See what I mean? In England, lots of chavs earn more than lots of middle class people, but they're still chavs. Same thing. But, and here's the important part, they think that theyre middle class. They're not.

Are we really arguing about whose definition of class is correct?

Yeah, me.

« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2006, 04:37:33 PM »

oh oh, what class am i?

Hell, you don't need me to tell you again, do you? UES, remember? That's when you decided to like me. Very self-serving.

actually i really started warming up to you after the harvard ding.  very self-serving.

What a cheap hooker you are

well i was just touched, that's all. 

actually, you just got me when my defenses were down.

redemption

« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2006, 04:40:44 PM »

Are we really arguing about whose definition of class is correct?

No, not "correct": I'm saying that what "class" is to you depends on what class you're in. If you're petit bourgeois, then class = money; if you're blueblood old money, "class" is lineage. See what I mean? How you talk about class says what class you're in. So, the Mattress King who yells on informercials thinks of himself as upper middle class because he makes a lot of money; other people see the bling arrayed on his chest hair, the heavy gold watch, and think that he's not and never will be middle class. Think about it.

And with that, I'm out.  :)

redemption

« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2006, 04:41:44 PM »

You should always keep 'em up. That is the lesson.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2006, 04:42:27 PM »
In the spirit of actually contributing something useful for the lurkers and whatnot, here's a link to something introductory:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4662456

While that may be useful when discussing blacks in particular it doesn't really work for the overall topic. Just substitute Irish, Korean, Japanese, or Scottish for black and you’ll get very different results. And this doesn’t even hint at the problems Europeans are now having with their new poor.

Yeah, me.

« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2006, 04:43:50 PM »

You should always keep 'em up. That is the lesson.

I learned that just a little too late.  :'(

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2006, 04:44:15 PM »
No, not "correct": I'm saying that what "class" is to you depends on what class you're in. If you're petit bourgeois, then class = money; if you're blueblood old money, "class" is lineage. See what I mean? How you talk about class says what class you're in. So, the Mattress King who yells on informercials thinks of himself as upper middle class because he makes a lot of money; other people see the bling arrayed on his chest hair, the heavy gold watch, and think that he's not and never will be middle class. Think about it.

I’d still label that as culture more often than class, but I more or less agree with your characterizations of different cultures.

redemption

« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2006, 04:45:07 PM »

I’d still label that as culture more often than class, but I more or less agree with your characterizations of different cultures.

I'm watching this development with alarm

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2006, 04:46:21 PM »
I'm watching this development with alarm

lol, I only meant with regard to that post. Did you catch my shift back to culture?