Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

Elephant Lee

• Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2006, 02:58:54 PM »
I think people are way too hard on him.
As an LSD consumer (remember that lurk:postcount forumla? Mine was through the roof), I've certainly appreciated his contributions during what has been a dry spell on the board. He generally gets people to talk about something interesting. The condescension I could do without, although that's probably a reaction to being frequently attacked. 

SCgrad

« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2006, 03:01:17 PM »
Yeah, BB is not the same in my book as he was when he came on.  If he hadn't "adjusted" I would have just stopped reading his posts like I have with other posters.  I just don't like the style and I think he takes it to the extreme.  I didn't like it about Stan, but I think he more frequently departed from it to make a J type argument.  If BB has actually done this, I have not seen it. I may have incorrectly conveyed that he is not making an argument.  I think he is making arguments, perhaps I think that more than others think that.  I just think his arguments are in disguise (perhaps as a defense to keep himself from ending up in a situation like he was in when he first showed up).  I wish they weren't.  But then again I wish when someone said something stupid they could just say "my bad, dog" and that would be it, but apparantly that also is not the case.

redemption

« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2006, 03:03:42 PM »
But then again I wish when someone said something stupid they could just say "my bad, dog" and that would be it,

If that ever happens, it means that the apocalypse is coming.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2006, 03:04:47 PM »
Well, yeah. That's what rubs people the wrong way about bb. But the small-town aspirational   conservative thing -- the quality, prestige, Dow, classical music, etc -- is par for the course, no? Ironically, if you put him on the couch, I'd bet that it's the small-town petit-bourgeois thing that he wants to get away from the most. I like to think that he's aware of that irony and works with it.

I do have aspirations (not particularly conservative oneís mind you) greater than my background. I really do listen almost exclusively to classical music, abstain from any alcohol but wine, scotch or brandy and spend way more time thinking than is probably good for me. I donít do it to look good or important, but because I find each item more meaningful than other available options. The thing is, Iím honest about my elitism. ;)

redemption

« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2006, 03:06:50 PM »
Seriously, that's not a nice thing to say. You know what I mean? My fault for bringing it up, but please delete that part.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2006, 03:13:13 PM »
Seriously, that's not a nice thing to say. You know what I mean? My fault for bringing it up, but please delete that part.

I know exactly what you mean. It is incredibly mean, which is why no one has said it or will say it. Paradoxically, itís the niceties of the well-wishers rather than ďnot niceĒ comments like mine that will probably do the most damage to her in the future. My past comments were meant to help and sometimes, as the clichť goes, the truth hurts.

SCgrad

« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2006, 03:15:32 PM »

I know exactly what you mean. It is incredibly mean, which is why no one has said it or will say it. Paradoxically, it’s the niceties of the well-wishers rather than “not nice” comments like mine that will probably do the most damage to her in the future. My past comments were meant to help and sometimes, as the clichť goes, the truth hurts.

Why do you feel you are qualified to make this statement?

redemption

« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2006, 03:16:43 PM »
Thanks, bb

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2006, 03:27:14 PM »
The thing about law school is that it doesn't require a whole lot of intelligence or insight, just the ability to focus and some organizational skills.

Going a top law school has almost nothing to do with the education youíll receive or oneís aptness for it. I have almost no doubt that almost everyone at Yale will graduate and go on to future success.

The thing about the LSAT is that it doesn't tell you very much if anything about how much of any of those things a person has.

It does tell you something, and that isnít the sole criterion I based my judgment on.

The thing about Yale is that there are no grades and everyone who emerges from there has had the benefit of a tremendous education and will do very well in life. 

I agree, but I think things could be better for all parties involved if events worked out differently.

The thing about me is that I'm practically white, if you didn't know that already (which I thought you did).

I honestly thought you were black, not that that really matters. Iím just trying to finally convince red that the pieces of advice I offered had nothing to do with race. Oh, and what exactly do you mean? I really hope you donít mean youíre acting white, as thatís one conception I think should be stricken from popular discourse as soon as possible

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »
Why do you feel you are qualified to make this statement?

Probably the same thing that prompted your posting and prevented you from dismissing my assertion out of hand.