Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #650 on: September 10, 2007, 06:22:52 PM »
for those of you that have started, did you have second thoughts about the school u choose?

Yep, and still do.

Still, I'm happy.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 11, 2007, 11:07:54 AM »
for those of you that have started, did you have second thoughts about the school u choose?

I like the school I am at, I wish it was cheaper, but other than that I am happy

thats my biggest worry

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 16, 2007, 05:11:19 PM »
so, now that we are in a month or so, what have you 1L's noticed to be the biggest dif between LS and undergrad?

Para Legal

• Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 16, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »
1. There are boys. (I went to a women's college.)

2. Everyone is very intelligent, and thus we all have a complex about being the dumbest kid in the room, most for the first time in our lives.

3. I was relieved to identify two gunners in my section, meaning that my own fears of becoming labeled a gunner have been quashed.

4. For the first time in my life I am actively shutting up in class, and it's working to my advantage. See above, #3.

5. It is at times harder and easier than I thought.

6. It's everything I wanted it to be.

7. It's nothing like I thought it would be.

8. I hate law school.

9. I love law school.

10. You won't know what you've gotten yourself into until you've gotten yourself into it.

Cheers,

Para  ;)

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 16, 2007, 06:08:45 PM »
is there anything you could have done b4 hand to make the transition easier?

Para Legal

• Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 16, 2007, 07:48:59 PM »

Not really. As transitions go, mine was fairly easy...quit job, load husband and daughter and contents of house into Penske truck, move into rental house, go to orientation. I was very lucky in that I have a built in support system and we didn't have any culture shock to deal with (we stayed in the Midwest, within 6-8 hours of where we were originally.)

I spent lots of time talking to law students, hanging on LSD, thinking through what would happen, and in all honesty, was probably as prepared as one can get. The point is, that law school is different for everyone. About 85% of it was along the lines of what I expected. No matter how much you prepare, something is always different. The best thing to know is probably to just roll with the punches and study hard...eventually (I'm told) you find your groove.

Cheers,

Para  ;)

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 16, 2007, 08:10:41 PM »
so, now that we are in a month or so, what have you 1L's noticed to be the biggest dif between LS and undergrad?

The biggest difference is that you have to figure out a lot on your own. Class time isn't a time for introducing a completely alien concept. It is discussing what you have read and clarifying the rule.

There's a lot more reading that you ever had in undergrad.

There's a lot more personal accountability than in undergrad.

And regarding your second question, I didn't believe the law students and lawyers who told me there was nothing I could do to prepare other than enjoy my summer. Now I believe them. Nothing you can do before coming to law school will prepare you for law school. You will have an orientation a few days before classes begin where they will teach you how to brief/what to look for when reading, and give you a basic overview of the legal system.

The Poli-Sci majors don't have any advantage over the Engineering/English/Communication/Biology majors.

I think if you have good study habits, and you are motivated, you will succeed. I would advise holding off on buying supplements until you are a few weeks in. Go to class, go to the library and test out the study aids they have on file there and see what works best for you. Some people love E&E's, others do better with Emmanuel's.

No one technique for succeeding at law school will do, b/c everyone learns differently.

Get your LSAT done, your applications in and just try to relax. Easier said than done!

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 17, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »

The biggest difference is that you have to figure out a lot on your own. Class time isn't a time for introducing a completely alien concept. It is discussing what you have read and clarifying the rule.

There's a lot more reading that you ever had in undergrad.

There's a lot more personal accountability than in undergrad.

And regarding your second question, I didn't believe the law students and lawyers who told me there was nothing I could do to prepare other than enjoy my summer. Now I believe them. Nothing you can do before coming to law school will prepare you for law school. You will have an orientation a few days before classes begin where they will teach you how to brief/what to look for when reading, and give you a basic overview of the legal system.

The Poli-Sci majors don't have any advantage over the Engineering/English/Communication/Biology majors.

I think if you have good study habits, and you are motivated, you will succeed. I would advise holding off on buying supplements until you are a few weeks in. Go to class, go to the library and test out the study aids they have on file there and see what works best for you. Some people love E&E's, others do better with Emmanuel's.

No one technique for succeeding at law school will do, b/c everyone learns differently.

Get your LSAT done, your applications in and just try to relax. Easier said than done!

spot on

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 17, 2007, 12:09:38 AM »
And of course, the unbearable amount of reading isn't enough. There's also an unbearable amount of prep to be done before and after reading

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 17, 2007, 09:42:53 AM »
And of course, the unbearable amount of reading isn't enough. There's also an unbearable amount of prep to be done before and after reading

???

1. Open book.
2. Read. Stare at page.
3. Crack Slam a dozen beers.
4. Think Sleep a bit lot.

:)

Sounds good.