Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

cheesesteak

Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2006, 11:31:13 AM »
I'm doing well and writing exactly as I always have.  I think LRW caters to a particular style: concise and well-structured.  It doesn't cater to creative expression.  My position (at least on my own writing) is that I want straightforward prose with impressive ideas/arguments.  Creativity in thought is more important (for me) than creativity in expression.

No 5x repetition of exactly the same idea in HLS LRW?
Apparently bass writes so well that he only needs to say something once.  He is above IRAC.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2006, 11:38:50 AM »
get back to the debt people!!!

« Reply #302 on: November 25, 2006, 11:58:11 AM »
difference of opinion on a memo.  it appears i'm trying to be convinced that i'm not a good writer, and i know better. 

I hear that LRW is supposed to destroy what writing ability that one had in order to make it more high school-ish

I'm doing well and writing exactly as I always have.  I think LRW caters to a particular style: concise and well-structured.  It doesn't cater to creative expression.  My position (at least on my own writing) is that I want straightforward prose with impressive ideas/arguments.  Creativity in thought is more important (for me) than creativity in expression.

I agree. It's just not that useful in legal writing to spend your time trying to figure out how to express something in a creative and unusual way. The people who do well tend to have a style like you mention and can pick up issues or ways of looking at a problem that other people may miss.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 25, 2006, 12:07:21 PM »
My LW professor has never taught the class before and I'm convinced he lives in a magical land of his own making. 

He likes to tell us how to organize our papers, and then when we organize it that way, he tells us it's wrong. 

He contradicts himself in other ways too.  Therefore, I am learning nothing about legal writing and have decided that his class is worthless and I should not be paying the slightest attention to my grades in that class.

I will not be getting an acceptable grade in legal writing.  My legal writing is passable, though I have some of the same problems others have mentioned with my professor (first draft: "Too many counterarguments!"; second draft: "Where are your counterarguments?"; final draft: "Too many counterarguments!").  But other things have gotten in the way.  I've decided that it's okay since I already have my (writing-intensive) summer job lined up, and I can use writing samples from there in the future if I'm unable to write on to LR. Please don't tell me I'm crazy; I need to believe this.

redemption

« Reply #304 on: November 25, 2006, 12:11:25 PM »
LRW sounds whack, yo'.

cheesesteak

« Reply #305 on: November 25, 2006, 12:13:04 PM »
LRW sounds whack, yo'.
Thats the spirit.

redemption

« Reply #306 on: November 25, 2006, 12:14:28 PM »
LRW sounds whack, yo'.

how many times do we have to tell you how silly you sound when you try to sound cool?

You're giving me a [wharton] complex.

You liked LRW, right?

cheesesteak

« Reply #307 on: November 25, 2006, 12:15:19 PM »
LRW sounds whack, yo'.

how many times do we have to tell you how silly you sound when you try to sound cool?

You're giving me a [wharton] complex.

You liked LRW, right?
Who? Me or the kitchen countertop?

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 25, 2006, 12:17:12 PM »
My LW professor has never taught the class before and I'm convinced he lives in a magical land of his own making. 

He likes to tell us how to organize our papers, and then when we organize it that way, he tells us it's wrong. 

He contradicts himself in other ways too.  Therefore, I am learning nothing about legal writing and have decided that his class is worthless and I should not be paying the slightest attention to my grades in that class.

wait... do i go to your school?

for example i wrote something like "the supreme court said blah blah blah.  it later ruled...."

and got back my paper with the word "it" circled and a comment of "who is it?"

who is "it?"  am i writing for morons?  6th graders?  what?

redemption

« Reply #309 on: November 25, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »

Who? Me or the kitchen countertop?

Did you like it? The countertop is a silent gunner, so he won't say.