Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

redemption

Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2006, 03:57:16 PM »
LMAO. Judging class by income is the definition of petit-bourgeois.

lol, nice comeback. I'm speaking in an economic sense and you know that. There are other components of "class," but this is most often the defining one in every sitution.

No, it's really not. Maybe I'm too "British", but class and economic stratum rarely intersect. Is Donald Trump upper class, for example? I don't think so.

redemption

« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2006, 03:58:47 PM »
Yeah, BB is not the same in my book as he was when he came on.  If he hadn't "adjusted" I would have just stopped reading his posts like I have with other posters.  I just don't like the style and I think he takes it to the extreme.  I didn't like it about Stan, but I think he more frequently departed from it to make a J type argument.  If BB has actually done this, I have not seen it. I may have incorrectly conveyed that he is not making an argument.  I think he is making arguments, perhaps I think that more than others think that.  I just think his arguments are in disguise (perhaps as a defense to keep himself from ending up in a situation like he was in when he first showed up).  I wish they weren't.  But then again I wish when someone said something stupid they could just say "my bad, dog" and that would be it, but apparantly that also is not the case.

here.

Well, SC will have to spell it out, but seems obvious enough to me. Extreme moderation is still extreme, no?

Yeah, me.

« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2006, 03:59:53 PM »

lol, nice comeback. I'm speaking in an economic sense and you know that. There are other components of "class," but this is most often the defining one in every sitution.

No, it's really not. Maybe I'm too "British", but class and economic stratum rarely intersect. Is Donald Trump upper class, for example? I don't think so.

okay, i'm disgusted by that suggestion.

my nice guy act you mean?

redemption

« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2006, 04:03:11 PM »

You quoted the wrong post. Sheesh, n00b.

The way that you present "your" political stance, not your nice guy act.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »

Oh I agree with you completely as far as Britain in concerned. Class means everything there, whereas in the U.S. "class" doesn't really exist outside of the economic sense. We're pretty much classless compared to Western Europe.

Bloody Chavs.

redemption

« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2006, 04:06:30 PM »

Oh I agree with you completely as far as Britain in concerned. Class means everything there, whereas in the U.S. "class" doesn't really exist outside of the economic sense. We're pretty much classless compared to Western Europe.

Not at all true. That's a myth, and I'm not sure why people continue to believe it despite what they know from their own common sense and common knowledge. Upper West side is not Upper East Side; Mainline outside Philly is not Pittsburgh; Ole Miss isn't Mississippi State; Jack and Jill isn't inner Detroit. People don't move up or down the class system here any faster than they do in Europe.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2006, 04:10:18 PM »
despite what they know from their own common sense and common knowledge.

You're relying on those a bit to much these days.

People don't move up or down the class system here any faster than they do in Europe.

Sure they do. We do have class differences, but they are not significant (and should thus not be termed "class") enough to determine much of anything these days.

Yeah, me.

« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2006, 04:13:36 PM »

You quoted the wrong post. Sheesh, n00b.

The way that you present "your" political stance, not your nice guy act.

actually, i meant that i was disgusted by the trump thing, then went on to ask about the nice guy act.  i have a political stance now?

redemption

« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2006, 04:14:58 PM »
Sure they do. We do have class differences, but they are not significant (and should thus not be termed "class") enough to determine much of anything these days.

Why, then, does redneck culture (i.e. class) irritate you?

redemption

« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2006, 04:15:39 PM »

actually, i meant that i was disgusted by the trump thing, then went on to ask about the nice guy act.  i have a political stance now?

See? that's extreme.