Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

->Soon

• View Profile
for those that have started law school
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:47:56 AM »
i was talking to one of you Ho's (hehe) the other day, and she was saying law school is not at all what she expected.

clicky, like HS, but everyone is VERY quiet in class, and afraid to talk.
is this your experience?

Einstein

• View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 01:50:52 PM »
Well then, she needs to speak up in class and show the others how to do it. 

I have been in situations like this before.. especially in my LSAT prep class..

nobody wants to speak up out of shy or fear.  But if you start to speak up a lot, then others will follow... they are all like sheep just waiting to be lead somewhere.  Tell her that she must show them the way..lol

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 03:28:42 PM »
but everyone is VERY quiet in class, and afraid to talk.
is this your experience?

Many of my college classes were like that. It usually depended on the professor and his policy (possibly written but likely observed through experimentation) on talking. There were a few professors who couldn't control a classroom of 20 people and others who kept a class of 200 silent.

Bettn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:03:49 PM »
is this your experience?

My experience is that is is cliquey, but there's people that aren't afraid to talk. A lot of them.. And they're all pretty f-ing stupid. It's always the stupid people that talk - either they say something way off base, or they repeat what the prof just said so they can pretend they know something.

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:38:05 PM »
In my classes, there's never a shortage of talkers, except in civil procedure (you will understand why when you take it).  Most are pretty intelligent.  There are some people who talk too much, and others who never talk unless called on (often, these people absolutely nail the point when they are called on).  I think it depends a lot on the school you go to, and the teachers.  Some teachers are more likely to shoot you down if you misunderstand something that you talk about, others are great at weaving it back into the direction in which the class should be going.  I'm sure the experience varies a lot from school to school. 

And yeah, it's a little cliquish, but the cliques don't seem to be as blatantly exclusive as they were in high school.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 08:56:17 PM »
My professors this year are actually incredibly friendly so people aren't afraid to participate in class.  Even when you say something dumb, they will try to lead you to the correct answer or will put you down in a nice way... unless you have my torts professor...

Also, whenever the professor asks a simple question that you can answer, it might be wise to raise your hand and answer it as often as you can.  In that way, when you're called on when off guard, you can afford to look like a moron that one time. 

Ever

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 09:25:07 PM »
My professors run the gambit. Two are very good at handling stupid comments; they either just say ďNo, that's wrongĒ or they steer whatever was said back to the topic. People donít mind talking in those classes. My contracts professor will poke fun at you, but heís nice about it and lots of people are willing to engage. Civil procedure is another story. The professor is nuts and if he thinks youíre a moron or the case weíre reading is wrong heíll start yelling. Heís nice to the girls, though. Criminal law just depends on the professorís mood. Some days heís very witty and funny and other days he will not hesitate to slam anything you say.

Yeah, itís clicky, but I havenít noticed much exclusivity; more like people just gravitate towards like minds.

The work is very different than what I expected. Iím not even sure how to describe it, maybe someone else can try.

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 09:36:28 PM »
i was talking to one of you Ho's (hehe) the other day, and she was saying law school is not at all what she expected.

is this your experience?

Pretty much, though its not as much being afraid to talk as just not feeling the need; as most classes are socratic (or have an on-call system, at least), we are all going to have our moment, so why volunteer on top of that.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 11:33:57 PM »
relax...and read the book "global rift" it is close to my heart. ;)

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 05:35:43 AM »
People aren't too afraid to talk in my classes.  However, I've found that you can volunteer to answer one question that you know and then be asked a series of 5 more questions that you have no idea how to answer, so I don't always raise my hand even when I know something.  My professors aren't nasty if you don't know the answer, but sometimes they'll make you suffer for a little bit before moving on.

The most painful times in class are when the professor calls on someone who doesn't know what's going on and rides them for like 30 minutes.  It's just bad for everyone.  I really wish people would stop being so self-conscious about looking like an idiot and be more confident about what they say, it's not like the rest of us give a *&^% and then we don't have to waste 10 minutes on "uh... umm... I think... maybe... ummm...." etc etc.

It is VERY cliquey for the people who aren't married.  And some of the people who are married are on the fringes of law school socialization because they just go home to their spouses.