Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how difficult was the september lsat as compared with the past 5 released?  (Read 6682 times)

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
Re: how difficult was the september lsat as compared with the past 5 released?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »
I think I got one question correct on Sept 30th, my name.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 02:22:34 PM »
I think I got one question correct on Sept 30th, my name.
damn i think i missed that one. There goes my 120.

johnnyutah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 10:07:23 PM »
anyone got a link to a thread that shows the scales of all of the past years?

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 10:08:48 PM »
I just looked at Dec 04 scale and oh my god, is that a dream or what? 92= 175 !!? Damn. And that test was relatively easy in my opinion. Damn, some people are so lucky.

bluedevil4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 10:26:14 PM »
yeah this whole scale business seems like bull. What if they set the scale to a -10 before the test, and then people did really bad? Do they just conclude that we are stupid and give us the -10 anyway, or do they give us the benefit of the doubt and change the scale if the score distribution is way different than what they expected?
?? '10 (But it's gonna be somewhere, dammit!!)

mjb

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 10:30:27 PM »
yeah this whole scale business seems like bull. What if they set the scale to a -10 before the test, and then people did really bad? Do they just conclude that we are stupid and give us the -10 anyway, or do they give us the benefit of the doubt and change the scale if the score distribution is way different than what they expected?

Are you sure they set it before? That seems highly... dumb. I doubt very much that they do that. I would imagine that they develop scores after the raw data is in.

LT_Eagels_1

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 10:32:36 PM »
I agree, it's probably going to be similar to the June 2006 LSAT.  I still think the Games is the deciding factor in the curve.   Whether or not the RC was easy or difficult, a lot of people don't read the whole passage and simply read some answer choices and know that it can't be a typical LSAT answer choice.

But with Games, you have to work them out because you can't read answer choices and guess on answer choices.  They can make a very time-consuming game and screw you up.  So I still think the games decides the curve. 

macphisto33

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 10:34:24 PM »
they've already done the research on the tests they give out, they were used on experimentals, undisclosed sabbath tests etc. the test is already standardized So they know how students will perform on the lsat and they use the past three lsat scales to carve out a new one - I take them at their word, to change the scale after the administration wouldn't make sense

Dr. Raoul Duke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 07:14:30 AM »
anyone got a link to a thread that shows the scales of all of the past years?

IIRC, for 170:

June '06: - 10 (90/100)
Dec. '05: -8 (93/101)
Oct. '05: -10 (90/100)
June '05: -10 (89/99 - 1 question was tossed)
Dec. '04: -12 (87/99 - 1 question was tossed)
Oct. '04: -10 (90/100)
June '04: -12 (89/101)
Dec. '03: -11 (90/101)
June '03: -10 (91/101)

So the trend would say we are looking at a -10 most likely.  Although the tough RC hopefully will be enough to knock it down to -11 (12 would be a stretch, but the tough RC in June '04 was a factor in the more generous scale, so you never know). 

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HAC1M36
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 08:09:35 AM »
I would acturally prefer a reading comp to be the deciding section for upcoming LSATs even though it may seem like they are extremely difficult now since this was the first LSAT heading in that direction. Maybe LSAC sorta smartened up and having reading comp being a key skill in law school and the profession rather than solving these ridiculous logic games is a good reason to make rc a little more difficult and games a little less. I'm in favor of the new direction this is heading. Anyone agree?
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.