Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I don't want to practice law...  (Read 2043 times)

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
I don't want to practice law...
« on: October 04, 2006, 10:24:16 AM »
...with most people on this board.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to practice law...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 10:25:18 AM »
...with most people on this board.

Really, how many of us have ever served on an admissions committee for a law school?  How about since this new LSAT policy?  Hm...probably not too many.  Yet here we are spouting off knowledge and advice like we've all "been there, done there", and even if someone has already taken the LSAT or gotten into Law School, that doesn't mean they understand how the admissions process truly works.  But we mean well.

The people that really drive me batty are the extremely insecure people who can't stand having a 160 and a 170 reported to a law school.  "Oh no, they'll see I got a 160 once!"  Oh darn at some point in your life you were 80% percentile, and now you improved.  Get some confidence!  What's going to happen if you lose your first case as a practicing lawyer?  Give up and walk away? 

Oh and those people who cancel in Septebmer because they think they may have scored below a 170.  Do these same people realize that they might not do any better in December and at the same time, might have effectively screwed them out of some very high quality (but not T14) schools by missing the chance to apply in November and December?  That's not at all a strategic move.  Cancel if you must in June, but you better have your A game on by September.  If you can't understand that strategy, again, I doubt your ability to strategically plan and try a case.

Although I would practice with jer2911tx, or at least have a beer with him.  I appreciate common sense, and he seems to be someone who's out here schlupping people (LSATgirl?) upside the head with it by the bucketload.

most lawyers don't like most other lawyers, because lawyers are assholes
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 10:30:39 AM »
most lawyers don't like most other lawyers, because lawyers are assholes

I don't mind assholes.  They're mean, rude, etc....but it's the stupid people that really piss me off.

yea then I think that the problem you have is definitely more with this site than with the legal profession. There are a few people on here who are not just dumb, but dumb and loud, and they chase away posters who actually know something. That's part of the reason this site has such miserable retention of posters after they are in law school, unlike xoxo. I think that I am the only active poster remaining from my cycle only two years ago. I take that back. MindtheGap also. but that's it.

lindseyl

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 10:33:08 AM »
What I like most about the people who complain about their 160-170s and cancel is that it gives me more of a shot at getting in. I say, let them cancel and risk their own chances of getting into a school that probably would've taken them in the first place.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 10:42:44 AM »
yea then I think that the problem you have is definitely more with this site than with the legal profession.

I never said I have a problem with the legal profession.  I would LOVE to be a lawyer.  I just don't want some of these nitwits to become lawyers.  Because, if they do get into LS, and they do someday practice law...assuming they haven't changed for the better...their poor clients are in for a bunch of neurotic lawyers.  Much like Cameron's breakdown in FBDO...

HA, that's ok. The joke's on them, since they'll be graduating with a hundred thousand dollars of debt and $40,000/year job if they are lucky.

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 10:47:16 AM »
Many of the posters on this board are college seniors, so they are what, 21-22? Common sense often comes with maturity and leaving behind the comfortable student life where your biggest responsibility is showing up for class. Granted, not everyone is like that, some grow up quicker due to certain life circumstances, but it sounds from the posts that for most people freaking out about not breaking 170 this is their first bout with disappointment.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 11:09:05 AM »
Many of the posters on this board are college seniors, so they are what, 21-22? Common sense often comes with maturity and leaving behind the comfortable student life where your biggest responsibility is showing up for class. Granted, not everyone is like that, some grow up quicker due to certain life circumstances, but it sounds from the posts that for most people freaking out about not breaking 170 this is their first bout with disappointment.
I absolutely agree. The education system in North America likes to tell everyone that can be a success and that noone is a failure no matter how hard you try. Reality of course is that not every can be a success. But if they are immature and dmub now, I think a few years at a law schools hopefully will wake them up. I mean 3 1/2 years in engineering certainly woke me up.
I didn't exactly score what I wanted on the LSAT. Now it's a matter geting the most of it, not sitting at home crying about it.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

Lex Luthor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 11:15:05 AM »

Original Poster, I really like you.  Let's join forces for evil.
Especially Lex, whom everyone knows is one of the biggest flame/trolls on LSD.

Cube Farmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 11:19:46 AM »

This is spot-on.
In: Texas Tech ($), Tulsa ($$$); South Texas ($); Baylor; SMU
Waitlist: Oklahoma; Houston; Denver
Rejection: Texas; Georgetown; Harvard; Colorado; Northwestern; ASU;

sierrahotel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 12:33:46 PM »
I'm so depressed.