Law School Discussion

I don't want to practice law...

Re: I don't want to practice law...
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 10:45:20 AM »

That's not fair, some people are probably truly disappointed. THey probably studied at their maximum capacity and still did not reach their goal. But it's a matter of coming to terms, and 5 days after the test, it's hard to do so. Then again, not everyone gets to get 170+, it is the 98th percentile. You'd have to be better than quite a lot of people.

Some people need to look up the definition of percentile.

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 10:56:21 AM »

That's not fair, some people are probably truly disappointed. THey probably studied at their maximum capacity and still did not reach their goal. But it's a matter of coming to terms, and 5 days after the test, it's hard to do so. Then again, not everyone gets to get 170+, it is the 98th percentile. You'd have to be better than quite a lot of people.

I'm very clear on the definition of percentile. Make no doubts about that.

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 10:57:09 AM »

English is not your first language, is it?

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 11:00:38 AM »

English is not your first language, is it?

No it's not.  :P

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 11:06:57 AM »
If you don't want to practice law, don't go to law school.

Good one, you worthless ape.  Did you bother to read the first post, or are you being an idiot on purpose?

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 11:15:55 AM »

That's not fair, some people are probably truly disappointed. THey probably studied at their maximum capacity and still did not reach their goal.

Goals should be attainable and realistic (Specific, measuable, attainable, realistic, and with a timeline :P).  Maybe HYS wasn't attainable and/or realistic for some of these people, and they're just not accepting that fact.  Maybe they're Wake Forest people who don't want to accept it. 

See, what I've been getting at with all of these people freaking out and wanting to cancel is that maybe they're just not meant for HYS.  Sure, try in Dec, but in the meantime, keep your score and apply for BYU, Wake Forest, BC, and try in get at least one Acceptance letter in hand in case they're second bout of studying doesn't raise their score at all, or in case they have the flu the day of the Dec exam.  Really, we have NO idea what will happen on that day, all we know is that Sept 30th is over and in the meantime, no one knows the official scale, so no one knows what they scored.

The way I see it, if some people are obsessed with getting into HYS and will settle for nothing less, then you should be thrilled that you will be at no risk of attending school with those people. :) Once they are scraping by in an entry level job making less than $30K a year working with people who don't even have college degrees, maybe they'll change their minds. Down here in the lower end of the top 25, people don't really seem all that convinced that their lives will be over if they don't make law review or get a biglaw job.

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 11:19:45 AM »
I don't disagree with the OP entirely, but I also think you're making a generalization here about people. I guess it depends on how your perspectives of "hope" and "realistic" are molded. I think most of us grow up with a sense that anything can be accomplished.  Now whether we keep that mentality through and past college depends on where each of us are in life. 

Being "realistic" is subjective advice. There are plenty of people who have graudated from weaker undergraduate schools to attend Harvard, Yale, Chicago, etc.  Generalizing that those who are complaining here simply didn't work hard enough is a cheap shot.  Are there some here who didn't work as hard? Possibly. But as with any standardized test, there are certainly people here who tried and due to circumstances didn't do well.

And one more thing, I think it's admirable that people strive to be better than they are. If everyone lived in a "be realistic" world like your's, a lot of great things would never get done.

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 11:20:09 AM »
I keep coming back to this thread hoping J replied. I'm bored today, LSD is my soap opera, and I want to see continuation of some intriguing story lines!

i agree. if only the actors were more attractive and there was more adultery  and amnesia...

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 11:40:24 AM »
1) I don't like the "let's blame the dumb, spoiled college seniors" attitude that permeates discussions like these...some people are deluded even after countless years of work experience (see: Sunset Boulevard, hah).

2) Does it count as amnesia if I cannot for the life of me remember what I answered to all but 3 of the debated LR questions?

pokeherface

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 11:40:34 AM »
I agree with the OP.