Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: scholarships or help for older students  (Read 1829 times)

tshavard

• View Profile
scholarships or help for older students
« on: February 12, 2004, 03:38:24 PM »
hey mid 30's here and as of now i have a good job and own a home (actually a farm)
when and if i get in to law school we will sell the farm...is there scholarship $ for people like me. Married with a child.

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
Re: scholarships or help for older students
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 03:54:35 PM »
Yes.

Thomas Jefferson in San Diego offers scholarships that are non-need based.  Also, Thomas Cooley offers scholarships based on LSAT and GPA.  If you score a high enough LSAT, you're ride is free.  I know other schools also offer such assistance in one form or another regardless of need, but your milage will vary.

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 03:56:35 PM »
I hate it when I make grammer mistakes, even when it's in a forum like this.  I meant to say, 'your' not "you're".

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 01:19:42 PM »
I saw a bar exam pass rate for California schools, and Thomas Jefferson had a pass rate of 48%.    :-\

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 09:40:20 PM »
As the previous poster stated, there are many schools that offer merit scholarships, and perhaps a few that have "specialized" scholarships for students with dependent children, married students, former farm owners, etc.

One thing you can do is take a look at the LSAC guide to law schools.  In the grids, it lists the percentage of students receiving scholarships and breaks that aid into sections (i.e. more than full tuition, full tuition, half tuition, etc.)  Perhaps that will have some impact on where you decide to apply...it doesn't hurt to play the odds.  I have been offered a full tuition scholarship to The University of Toledo, which has a really good endowment fund and offers full rides to about 40% of its students per year.  On the other side of the spectrum, I was accepted to Stetson, and the financial aid office told me directly that they have very little available for scholarship aid.  I know Valparaiso offers some good scholarships as well (tuition plus stipend).  Good luck.