Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stressed out *VENT*  (Read 1222 times)

Regal_Muse

Stressed out *VENT*
« on: August 24, 2004, 02:01:39 PM »
I need to vent. I'm on the verge of f-ing losing it. Basically my father is going through a nasty divorce right now from my stepmother. The trifling female dog is literally trying to milk my father for everything he is worth. She's lying to the courts talking about he's trying to kill her in order to get full custody of my two younger sisters. This has been going on for the past year now. My dad is a really good guy. I told him that female dog was crazy before he married her but of course no one listens to children these days. Most of my father's income is going towards legal fees and his accounts are all frozen.  My mom is carrying the full weight. My younger brother just started his freshman year at a major university on the east coast, which is around 40k (Same as usc). My mother is paying for my tuition and my brother's tuition, plus living expenses.

To take the load off, I started working more hours at my internship (I work at a law firm). My bosses have no problem with it since they work 13 hour days on average and need someone to help out after the secretaries go home. During the summer I worked 40-50 hours a week. During the school year I'm working 25-30 hours. I'm really tired. My migraines are starting to pop up again which literally leaves me immobile at times. My mom told me to chill out and stop working so much  but I don't want her to be stressed either because she has had a heart attack before. I'm scared and I don't want her getting sick again. I'm not sure what to do anymore.  :'(

I just need my stamina to hold up. Some of the people who are in my organizations are not being understand that I don't have that much time this semester. I'm getting all these stupid ass emails of what people  haven't done yet and they are expecting me to pick up the slack like I usually do. People are so f-ing selfish, it's ridiculous. Oh well. I don't mean to depress anyone. I hope everyone else is having a great day.

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
Re: Stressed out *VENT*
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 02:20:03 PM »
I'm sorry hun.   :-[

I think you need to prioritize, tell these organizations that you do not have the time to deal with them now. 

You have great scores and will probably get into a great law school, which will inevitably help the financial situation (even if it will take a few years to do so)--dont let this get you down! 

Family and financial problems are always the worst, but they also always seem to work out much better than one thinks. 

Just try to take a break every now and then, see friends, relax a little, and remember that things could always be worse.

Good luck with everything!

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 02:20:47 PM »
Before you think I'm dealing in platitudes, full disclosure: I've seen some really hard times over the years, and the past year has been the most trying of all.  My family also has intense turmoil right now.  I don't want to go into gory details.

That said, don't worry.  Worrying won't add a day to your life.  Worrying about things you can't change will only make things worse.  You sound like you have a very well-developed sense of responsibility... that's good, and it will serve you well in life.  However, you have to control it and refuse to be controlled BY it.  Or else it could just as easily destroy you.

Just weather the storm.  Take aside time to pray or meditate.  Look inward, and just lay down your worries.  Don't think about things you can't change.  I have had to learn all this the hard way.  

Not an easy situation.  Then again, life doesn't deal in easy situations.

ZAP

M2

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 02:26:09 PM »
Im sorry I can't read your whole msg, but basically it sounds like your having a bad time...

Although things are bad now, things will get better...and your state of mind will change too.
Hang in there

Regal_Muse

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 02:26:36 PM »
Thanks. Both of you are right, my situation just gets really upsetting at times. Then again, it could be worse. I feel like going into a corner and crying sometimes. I'm worried about my dad because I can tell he is feeling really down. My step mother actually had him thrown in jail. She pulled some fatal attraction bull and ended up with bruises. He was released when they found out she lied, but look at the embarrassment she has caused my dad. As for law school, I have normal anxiety I supposed. The other night though, my computer caught a virus and I had to reinstall my hard rive. I lost EVERYTHING. I'm trying to find the zip drive where I backed up all my files. I hope I find it because I have my personal statements, essays, and major term papers on it.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 02:51:03 PM »
That's a real hard time.  Just do your best with it, and don't let things break your heart.  You seem like the type that will make it through.  If life gives you lemons, and there's no sugar to make lemonade, just grit your teeth and drink the lemon juice.  It will be bitter, but it too will pass.

ZAP

Thanks. Both of you are right, my situation just gets really upsetting at times. Then again, it could be worse. I feel like going into a corner and crying sometimes. I'm worried about my dad because I can tell he is feeling really down. My step mother actually had him thrown in jail. She pulled some fatal attraction bull and ended up with bruises. He was released when they found out she lied, but look at the embarrassment she has caused my dad. As for law school, I have normal anxiety I supposed. The other night though, my computer caught a virus and I had to reinstall my hard rive. I lost EVERYTHING. I'm trying to find the zip drive where I backed up all my files. I hope I find it because I have my personal statements, essays, and major term papers on it.

clevername

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 03:49:11 PM »
Excellent advice from Zap

I always found that its helpful to maintain a sense of humor about things that are not within your immediate control.  There is some light in them, I promise.
"Nothing succeedes like excess"--Oscar Wilde

2.5/153

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 04:56:36 PM »
ugh crashing hard drives are the worst!  my computer completely died last year and i lost this 30 page term paper i was working on... pain in the butt, and all my digital pictures, shux, i should have been less cheap and printed them out.. oh well, even so, it all gets done... we all get through it, and you will too!

good luck recovering stuff!   :)

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 05:00:30 PM »
ugh crashing hard drives are the worst! my computer completely died last year and i lost this 30 page term paper i was working on... pain in the butt, and all my digital pictures, shux, i should have been less cheap and printed them out.. oh well, even so, it all gets done... we all get through it, and you will too!

good luck recovering stuff! :)

Always back up to external drive, such as portable usb drive. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

Jeit

• Sr. Citizen
  • It is.
    • ICQ Messenger - 526149
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 12:56:05 PM »
Where can we send a cheque?