Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings vs. Santa Clara  (Read 1439 times)

jiafei

• View Profile
Hastings vs. Santa Clara
« on: February 12, 2004, 02:31:23 PM »
I'm trying to decide between these two. I know Hastings is a much better ranked tier 1 school while SCU is only a bottom tier 2. I always get advice from friends who hold that I should go to the best school that I can get into.

However, I have a MS in Computer Science and has been worked as a software engineer in a big IT company for quite a while. I really want to practice IP in Silicon Valley upon graduation. From what I've learned, Hastings doesn't have an IP concentration for JD students, but SCU ranked #9 for its IP program. Also, my husband works in Mountain View, and my kid goes preschool there, so attending SCU would save lots of commuting time for us.

But I think my friends have some valid points there:
1) For people like us without any previous experience in law, it is hard to say whether we will enjoy practicing IP law. We may find out after starting law school that we are more interested in something else. So it is not adviced to set the goal in a specific practicing area too early.
2) Even if your GPA/LSAT may ranked higher in tier 2 school, it doesn't mean that you can beat your fellow students there. Studying law is a new start for everybody. Your previous success does not garantee your high GPA in law school. So one needs to be careful choosing a lower ranked school and determined to do well. You may be disappointed.

I'm really lost at the moment. I think the general reasons for going after Hastings they gave me make sense. But my gut feeling says SCU fits me better.

BTW, tuition wise the two schools are same for me because I am an international student, so I get to pay out-of-state anyway.

apartment

Re: Hastings vs. Santa Clara
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 03:21:07 PM »
[removed earlier post]

Agh, nevermind, they may have changed the rules recently.

But anyway, the point is, think very had about what kind of law education you want and what kind of school can give that to you best.  The IP field is very competitive, don't count on your MS to single you out.

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 03:32:45 PM »
Actually, if you, jiafei, received your degree in Computer Science from an accredited* university you should qualify to sit for the patent bar.  Also, the patent bar is not as hard as it is rumored to be, as long as you take are bar prep course, like the one BAR/BRI offers.

I recommend visiting this site:

http://www.patentbarbri.com/patent/patent_frameset.htm

*must be accredited by the Computer Science Accreditation Commission (CSAC) of the Computing Sciences Accreditation Board (CSAB), or by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), on or before the date the degree was awarded

apartment

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 03:46:41 PM »
I just checked again.  The rules were changed recently to accept CS but my brother, who was an examiner says in this case that I was correct the first time). 

A BS in CS is required and an MS is not considered the equivalent.  (Odd I know.) 

The OP may qualify automatically if she has a technical BS in something else, otherwise she has to have taken x units of a number of courses in order to sit for the patent bar.

Anyways, point remains, that OP should think long and hard before choosing what school she attends.

(All this posting is biased.  I am always in favor of the student going to the more challenging school.)

romancingthestone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 02:25:13 PM »
go with your gut!  it's not just a career, it's your life.  there's no way to assure your future goals, but you can do your best and lay the groundwork by making a choice that makes sense on a personal as well as professional level. plus, if you are highly ranked at SCU it may turn out to be better for you than struggling at hastings (not suggesting you couldn't handle it).  distinguish yourself anywhere and i think people will notice.

chica1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 01:12:04 AM »
I live in San Jose, and am also debating between Santa Clara and Hastings.  I know that Hastings is "better ranked" than Santa Clara, but I feel inclined to go to SCU anyways. The campus is nice, the students are smart, and it is VERY well respected in Silicon Valley. I once spent a week at "law camp" for pre-law students a few years ago and the professors we had were GREAT. (I went to Stanford as an undergrad, and I would consider the quality similar.) Furthermore, as a teacher, I know of several mothers who are in law school at SCU even with kids in elementary school.
On the other hand, Hastings is not really in a great part of SF, is generally well respected across the state, and according to Stanford Pre-law advisor Kathy Wright, lacks the sense of a "campus community." She also mentioned that not many students she talked to were all that happy there with the profs.

From your message, it sounds like your family is grounded in the South Bay, so it makes a lot of sense to go to SCU, especially since it is close to all the big companies and is well regarded in IP and tech law. Commuting to SF might not be so great and you won't be able to spend time on campus getting to know other students.

Well, Good luck to you! Definitely listen to your heart rather than the rankings. Having gone to a top undergrad school, I know that just because it is "one of the best" doesn't mean it's necessarily the best for you or your family.
 :)

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 02:57:35 PM »
I say that SCU better fits to your situation, you should practice where YOU want to not where everyone else (who won't be practicing law in that location) wants.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

thelawman

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 03:33:15 AM »
ask crazy as this sounds i say go to scu

you sound smart and can probably graduate at the top of your class there and they specialize in the type of law you are trying to study.......something that wont be lost on firms looking for good IP lawyers

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 05:51:16 AM »
ask crazy as this sounds i say go to scu

you sound smart and can probably graduate at the top of your class there and they specialize in the type of law you are trying to study.......something that wont be lost on firms looking for good IP lawyers

Hey dip-*&^% did you realize this thread is from four years ago?