Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: One of my LORs is not even a page... this is bad, right?  (Read 834 times)

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
One of my LORs is not even a page... this is bad, right?
« on: October 02, 2006, 10:08:29 PM »
I had asked an ex-professor to write an LOR...

How long are these bad boys supposed to be?  He sent it to me to review.  It says I was his best student, highly motivated, blah blah, and while it makes a short mention of an assignment in the class, it seems to me to be form-fitting and does alot of telling, and not alot of showing, like is recommended.

Also, it is barely a page single spaced... in the course we had a huge semester long project that culminated in a 100 page or so proposal (this is the assignment he mentioned)... would asking him to maybe expand upon it and speak on some of the skills it required be out of line??  It would make it longer, as well as show, more than tell

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: One of my LORs is not even a page... this is bad, right?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 10:57:34 PM »
Yeah, I went to a mock admissions committee in which we saw probably 7 or 8 recommendation letters - all but one weren't more than a page.  If there are specific skills he can add, great, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. 
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 02:34:56 PM »
A friend that works (assistant level) for a T2 school said that the committee looks at the length and will only really read the letters from amazing letter writers.  Of course, I have no idea how true this is... (personally, I hope it's not) but better safe than sorry and give your letter writer a few more points to discuss.   

sven

• MSN Messenger - sven--@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 09:36:20 AM »
I've heard that if it's to the point and doesn't beat around the bush then it's fine. If the admissions officer reads a letter that is two pages of *&^% thats made up they're going to know anyways.

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 08:16:44 PM »
a page single spaced?....thats long.

Instead of "best" student, see if he could say somethign more quantifiable.  Like you were in the top 5% of the class, or the top 5% of all his students hes ever taught etc.
Princeton Law 2010