Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: mid 30's and ready to go for it !!  (Read 4568 times)

THeath

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: mid 30's and ready to go for it !!
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2004, 04:04:34 PM »
I just stumbled upon this discussion board, and boy am I glad I did. I'm a 35 year old dad in DC. (My son is 16 months old.) And I'm seriously considering going to law school. I've always had a passion for social justice issues, so I'm particularly interested in public interest and civil rights law. I finished my undergrad more than 10 years ago, and have been working since then. Now I'm just wondering if I can pull it off, take the LSAT, get accepted to a law school in the metro-DC area, and actually manage to juggle work, family and law school.

Amy I crazy? I don't know, but the idea came back to life for me in just the last week. You see, I'd considered law school back during my undergrad years, but after undergrad I was in no shape for law school or grad school. I didn't know it at the time, but I'd been living with undiagnosed, untreated ADD all my life. So my undergrad years were a terrific struggle, despite having a high intelligence. I got diagnosed and found treatment about three years ago, and the difference is like night and day. My ability to focus and remember thigns has improved tremendously, and my ability to organize myself (using tools and techniques I've had to learn over the last couple of years) has gotten a lot better. So, now I think I can maybe handle law school.

I'm not sure when I want to go. Right now I'm in the information-gathering stages. I'm reading all I can, and picking brains of my lawyer accquaintances for whatever advice or information they can share. First, I'll commit to taking the LSAT (possibly in October) and see what comes of that.

nathanielmark

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2004, 02:10:15 PM »
Im 28, have a 5 month old son, a mortgage, and work for a large IT services company.

I am taking the LSAT in june and will be applying to 5 local PT programs in the fall.  best of luck to everyone.

Five local part-time programs?  :o Geez, I wish I had that many options.  Where are you located? 

I live in Northern Virginia.  I can easily take public tran to the 4 DC schools with part time programs.  there is also a school in NoVa, GMU.  they are all 1st and 2nd tier schools.

PT numbers seem to be about 2 points lower for LSAT scores also, which certainly won't hurt my chances.  I would be surprised if I did not get into at least 3/5.  but nothing is for certain.  i took the LSAT 5 years ago and did well, but need to retake it.  i am expecting to do even better on it this time.

jgruber

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2004, 02:16:07 PM »
Public transit?  Where I live we call public transit a taxi.

Im 28, have a 5 month old son, a mortgage, and work for a large IT services company.

I am taking the LSAT in june and will be applying to 5 local PT programs in the fall.  best of luck to everyone.

Five local part-time programs?  :o Geez, I wish I had that many options.  Where are you located? 

I live in Northern Virginia.  I can easily take public tran to the 4 DC schools with part time programs.  there is also a school in NoVa, GMU.  they are all 1st and 2nd tier schools.

PT numbers seem to be about 2 points lower for LSAT scores also, which certainly won't hurt my chances.  I would be surprised if I did not get into at least 3/5.  but nothing is for certain.  i took the LSAT 5 years ago and did well, but need to retake it.  i am expecting to do even better on it this time.