Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: mid 30's and ready to go for it !!  (Read 4572 times)

tshavard

• View Profile
mid 30's and ready to go for it !!
« on: February 12, 2004, 01:44:54 PM »
hi guys im in my mid 30's with a maters degree..a wife and a child..i want to stay in texas..i will probably take the lsat in june...what are my chances? anyone similar in story to me? thanks.

apartment

Re: mid 30's and ready to go for it !!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 02:01:01 PM »
No one could guess until you've taken the LSAT.

Undergrad GPA and LSAT are the two biggest factors in the application process regardless of your age or family situation.

Good luck, you'll do fine.

ferris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 02:40:10 PM »
I'm early 30's and taking a shot in Texas...so we'll see what happens!  Best of luck to you.

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 02:50:42 PM »
I'll be 34 in March, and I have a 20 month old child and a husband, and I will be a 1L this fall.  I say go for it!  We prepared by paying off all our debts because my husband will stay at home with the baby while I am in school, though he may give baton lessons for a little side income.  I will be working during the summers as well.  I am waiting to hear back from the schools to which I applied, but I do have an offer of a full ride from a Tier 3 school.

There is nothing you can do about your undergrad GPA at this point, but do not underestimate the LSAT.  I studied using a single practice guide and doing a couple of tests.  At the time, I thought that would be adequate, but in hindsight (after reading a lot of these boards), I should have done much more.  Start studying now!

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 03:53:07 PM »
I am in my mid 30's, three small children and a wife.  I've applied to about 15 law schools.  I haven't heard from a single one yet, so I honestly can't say "Go for it!  It's do-able!"

So, I'll just say this - I'm going for it myself and am very happy about it.  I always felt if I didn't at least try, I would regret it for the rest of my life, and I really hate having regrets...

sagemenscircle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 08:12:18 PM »
I'm 53. LOTS of 30's and 40's going to LS. The rest of it depends on your LSAT, your GPA, your finances, and your attitude.
"Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae"
Every man is the architect of his own fortune.
Appius Claudius

macheko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 01:39:44 AM »
I'm 33 and I'm quiting my job and going to George Washington in DC this fall. I'm very excited about it!
I'd say get your finances in order, study hard for the LSAT and get ready study hard and live like a student again for 3 years. If you want it you can do it!

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 08:33:48 AM »
 :D

I am 32 now and will be 33 going on 34 when I go to law school Fall 2005.  I am taking the LSAT in June this year.  I am quitting (or taking a leave of absence from my career) my aviation job and planning to go for entire law school experience.  It is ashame it is fall of next year instead of this year.  I just have to do my time, pay off my bills (almost there), save some money, and totally go for it.  To boot, I am a single parent.  I can't wait!

Good Luck!

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 06:10:47 PM »
I too am a mid-30's and from what I've seen, returning non-traditional students are given a slight advantage, assuming they have the same LSAT, etc.  This is because law schools are looking for diverse classes and the experience that older students can bring to the classroom is desired.

Again, that doesn't mean you're guaranteed, but if comes down to you and a 23 year old with no real practical life experience, I'm willing to bet that you'll get the nod.

Karen W.

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 01:13:59 PM »
48 years old and ready to go for it.
You're not too old for law school until your grandchildren are teaching there.

::)