Law School Discussion

Your Opinion and Dual Degrees

Your Opinion and Dual Degrees
« on: October 01, 2006, 10:28:43 PM »
I'm currently looking at Michigan, Berkeley, UCLA, Duke, USC, and Wash U in St. Louis for Fall '07. If you have feedback on any of these schools, I would love to hear it.  Also, I'm looking to get a joint JD/MBA, so if you have any input on that situation, it would also be greatly appreciated.

LawJedi

• I've got a bad feeling about this
    • View Profile
Re: Your Opinion and Dual Degrees
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 08:01:48 AM »
I've heard from people in the field that a JD trumps the MBA anyway, so don't waste your year.

Just my .02

kyokyo

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 10:23:25 AM »
I've heard from people in the field that a JD trumps the MBA anyway, so don't waste your year.

Just my .02

Seems to be the consensus.  There isn't really much of a reason, other than I guess it sounds kinda good.

Think about your reason, and if it's not anything beyond "I can run a business and be my own lawyer!" then you probably haven't done enough research.  I'd say it's best to pick one field and specialize.

Business and law students are notorious for being risk-averse, and a JD/MBA epitomizes that tendency.  I'm not saying there aren't good reasons, it's just that I have yet to hear one.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 01:01:49 AM »
I'm currently looking at Michigan, Berkeley, UCLA, Duke, USC, and Wash U in St. Louis for Fall '07. If you have feedback on any of these schools, I would love to hear it.  Also, I'm looking to get a joint JD/MBA, so if you have any input on that situation, it would also be greatly appreciated.

in general I think the MBA is neutral or a net negative when applying for lawyer jobs, and the JD is the same for applying to business jobs when you already have an MBA, so I'd say skip one of the two.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 12:02:48 AM »
i assume the same doesn't hold true for what are basically academic dual degrees? I'm interested in a JD/MA in political science because i have an academic interest in the field, but i can't imagine it'd increase my career prospects, right? Right?