Law School Discussion

scale question/theory

Re: scale question/theory
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 05:02:28 AM »
They probably have a general scale before the test that they adjust accordingly if the actual responses/scores vary too much from the benchmark.

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 05:14:28 AM »
sorry to burst any hopeful bubbles but the june test also had a difficult reading passage...corn corn corn!!  the scale was pretty normal...i don't think this scale is gonna be much different...

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 07:01:45 AM »
stating that the rest of the exam was just not as difficult is a bit of an over statement... if you look at the threads there is reason to believe that there were a number of questions on LR that seemed easily ostensbily, and that it was obvious what the answers were, whe the questions in reality were very tricky, and i'm sure many people got wrong. there were also a few weird questions were the right answer was the one that wasn't quite right... it just sucked the least. i saw a few of those  (psychoterhapy and vitamins) and i have never seen answers that sucked so much on a practice lsat. there is no reason to beleive that games were easier.. they were either on par or were slightly harder. lr was not a cinch, contrary to what some people are bragging about-- they are probably some of the ones who got the harder ones wrong and just have no idea, if i had to guess...

thestradgirl

• where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 09:11:44 AM »
I don't think the physic passage alone will cause the scale to be adjusted.  I actually think the rubisco passage was more complex in june.  The problem is that the rest of the passages 2 and 3 in sept were more complex, most likey causing a time crunch for most people.  Hoping for an adjusted scale is wishful thinking, the rest of the exam was just not as difficult.

I think while the rubisco passage might have had more layers in structure than the basin passage, the content was easier to differentiate among different elements and made the questions a lot more straightforward. I thought it was incredibly easy. The problem with the basin passage was that while the structure was pretty simple, there was much confusing information that was hard to differentiate. I think physics is generally harder than chemistry  or biology or geology to understand, even though I like it..

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 10:59:09 AM »
I think while the rubisco passage might have had more layers in structure than the basin passage, the content was easier to differentiate among different elements and made the questions a lot more straightforward. I thought it was incredibly easy. The problem with the basin passage was that while the structure was pretty simple, there was much confusing information that was hard to differentiate. I think physics is generally harder than chemistry  or biology or geology to understand, even though I like it..

You also have to take into account the stress of the testing environment when you compare these two passages.  Since you didn't take the June 06 test, your experience with the rubisco passage is probably a lot less stressful than the experience of someone who did take it as their real test.  This isn't to say that the rubisco passage was definitely harder or easier, but to some extent, people are going to think that their real test is the hardest.

.zone.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2006, 11:24:01 AM »
wait some of you said the scale is pre-determined? ...

How is it predetermined when questions are sometimes thrown out?  They might have a good idea of what the scale will be, but it surely isn't set in stone.

I thought the scale wasn't adjusted even if items are thrown out.  In the PrepTests, the scales aren't adjusted even after items are thrown out, are they?

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2006, 11:42:07 AM »
I wrote the June test shortly before the September test and I thought RC in Sept was much much harder.

The content being more difficult is up for debate, but the passages seemed longer, the questions more obscure, and most obviously (to me), the question stems and each individual answer choice were longer than I ever remembered them being on any other test.

plus, there were 28 questions!

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2006, 11:44:12 AM »
I wrote the June test shortly before the September test and I thought RC in Sept was much much harder.

The content being more difficult is up for debate, but the passages seemed longer, the questions more obscure, and most obviously (to me), the question stems and each individual answer choice were longer than I ever remembered them being on any other test.

You're ignoring that the stress/anxiety of a real LSAT administration might (and probably does) negatively impact your score.  Read almost any post of the last two days for proof.

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2006, 11:45:53 AM »

Filthy apes, June had 28 questions in RC.

No, it didn't. I'm looking at the test right now.

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2006, 11:48:11 AM »

No, it didn't. I'm looking at the test right now.

Why yes, you're right, it was 27!  Score: Lex 90000000, Everyone Else 1.