Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Might be the largest split you've seen..  (Read 861 times)

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Might be the largest split you've seen..
« on: October 01, 2006, 06:54:18 PM »
I'll just go ahead and throw it out here.

I'm a non-traditional (30 year old, 10 years work experience) with a 172 LSAT and 2.1 LSDAS GPA in Computer Science & Engineering.  I'm only applying to SMU as it's the only one that I can really attend as I can't leave Dallas and Wesleyan isn't an option.

I worked through school and didn't really care about it;  at the time I just wanted my peice of paper and my grades reflected that. 

To my question, as I have never found anyone on LSN or via search with this type of split.. what kind of chance do I have getting into SMU either PT or FT?  I can read the calculators and look at the median GPA's/LSAT's as easily as you can.. my LSAT is way over and my GPA is way under.  Difficult to say.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Might be the largest split you've seen..
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 07:00:36 PM »
Why SMU is easy for me.. I have lived in Dallas nearly all of my life (Born in Garland), have lots of family here, intend to practice here, and couldn't leave for another law school even if I were accepted due to wife & kids and the wife needing to work.  SMU is the only school I'm applying to and the only one I could go to.

Edit: and I guess it's difficult to estimate from LSN and chiashu how important work experience/time since UG is to the admission committee.. has anyone here ever seen a case like mine?

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 07:20:42 PM »
My problem with LSN is that 75-80% of the acceptances I see on there are withdrawn, so it's difficult to guage what the average student there actually has.  Seems like most of the people on LSN are applying to higher schools and use SMU as a safety which means most of the apps there are fairly bogus.

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »
I think your ten-years work experience + the high LSAT virtually cancels your undergrad grades. Put some energy into the "why SMU" paragraph. Apply early decision if you can. I wouldn't be surprised if they offer you some money...

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 07:42:18 PM »
I definitely plan to have my application in and complete by the Dec 1 deadline.  I think I'll need the help of getting in for ED so I'm going to go for that.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 05:10:27 AM »
You'll be fine.  There were several of us with pretty outrageous splits (though yours may well take the cake) last cycle, and I think that pretty much all of us with significant work experience wound up at schools ranked a good bit higher than SMU (including a few T-14).  Personally, I wrote a GPA addendum that basically said, "Yeah, I was young and dumb when I was an undergrad, but I've wised up, as you can see from the fact that I've gone on to lead a productive life since then."  I wound up getting into every school I applied to, with full rides at a T2 and a T3 that I eventually turned down in favor of my current LS.

Good luck!
Emory '09

LSN

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 05:14:45 AM »
I'll just go ahead and throw it out here.

I'm a non-traditional (30 year old, 10 years work experience) with a 172 LSAT and 2.1 LSDAS GPA in Computer Science & Engineering.  I'm only applying to SMU as it's the only one that I can really attend as I can't leave Dallas and Wesleyan isn't an option.

I worked through school and didn't really care about it;  at the time I just wanted my peice of paper and my grades reflected that. 

To my question, as I have never found anyone on LSN or via search with this type of split.. what kind of chance do I have getting into SMU either PT or FT?  I can read the calculators and look at the median GPA's/LSAT's as easily as you can.. my LSAT is way over and my GPA is way under.  Difficult to say.

Thanks for any thoughts.

should be fine
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 07:27:40 AM »
You'll be fine.  There were several of us with pretty outrageous splits (though yours may well take the cake) last cycle, and I think that pretty much all of us with significant work experience wound up at schools ranked a good bit higher than SMU (including a few T-14).  Personally, I wrote a GPA addendum that basically said, "Yeah, I was young and dumb when I was an undergrad, but I've wised up, as you can see from the fact that I've gone on to lead a productive life since then."  I wound up getting into every school I applied to, with full rides at a T2 and a T3 that I eventually turned down in favor of my current LS.

Good luck!

Seconded.  I was another of the outrageous split folks.  I think you should be a very competitive applicant, and it sounds as though you understand what you need to do to frame your whole package.  Good luck!
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 09:09:51 AM »
I really appreciate all the replies folks.  I will just have to wait for January to roll around to see what they say.  :)