Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is this a topic for a PS or a DS? Advice Please???  (Read 687 times)

butter tart

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mmmmmmm!
    • View Profile
Is this a topic for a PS or a DS? Advice Please???
« on: October 01, 2006, 05:19:51 PM »
I also posted this on the Personal Statement board but I thought this would be a good place to get some advice too, so I apologize for the double post.

Here's a little background on me.  I'm 29, Canadian (and currently getting jerked around by immigration while I wait for my citizenship), have been a Forensic DNA Scientist for 5 years, speak French, was a varsity athlete in college, first generation college graduate, and I'm gay (was one of the first to be married to my partner in Massachusetts and then months later had my license invalidated because I'm not a Mass. resident). 

I'm thinking about writing my PS on how the Mass. gay marriage ruling has completely changed my life and how it has fueled my passion to go into law so that I can fight for my and my communityís rights.  Before the court ruling, I wasn't very political - despite Clinton's DOMA or DADT.  But after the ruling and all of the backlash that followed (despite being pretty low key and not crazy politically out like some people, my house was vandalized during the 2004 election), I became determined to fight for my own rights and not sit back and let others do it for me.  And itís not just my rights as a gay person, but also my rights as a woman, and my rights as an immigrant that I want to fight for.  My goal after law school is to work for the ACLU and/or become a lobbyist. 

Is this too political for my PS?  If I write this PS, I probably would address my other diverse aspects in a short DS.  Or should I stick to a more boring topic like my interest in IP law and discuss the gay thing in my DS?  The reason I'm asking is because it's the honest and complete truth about why I want to go to law school and what I plan to do with my degree, but at the same time I don't want to turn off any conservative adcomms by talking about controversial issues.  Any advice???  GPA 3.34, LSAT 160.  Iím applying to schools in Michigan and Chicago.

Barry Bonds

• View Profile
Re: Is this a topic for a PS or a DS? Advice Please???
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 03:18:47 AM »
i think that this would make an awesome personal statement. from everything that i've heard about applying to law school, schools value statements that make you unique, and this one accomplishes that while also providing a genuine reason for you wanting to attending law school. quite a few people are interested in IP, and sometimes it doesn't look exceptionally great to center your app around a specialized topic that you're going to school to learn about. i think that this topic is really interesting and unique, while the more boring topic sort puts the cart before the horse.

butter tart

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mmmmmmm!
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a topic for a PS or a DS? Advice Please???
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 07:09:01 AM »
Thanks for the advice!!!