Law School Discussion

LR MASTER LIST - SEPT 06 POST MORTEM (1 question left! Help if you can!)

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
Re: LR MASTER LIST - SEPT06
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2006, 01:40:19 PM »
Parallel:  Tim says he does not like country music but he cannot be correct because his friends Anna and Jake like country music, and teenagers usually like the same music their friends like.

Answer:  Married couples usually wake up at the same time.  Chris and Linda are married, and Chris wakes up every day at 7 am, therefore Linda wakes up at 7 am too.

I made up the names.

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »
Nicotine and caffeine and heart attacks question?  Does anyone remember it?

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 01:41:32 PM »
*spouses of smokers and non smokers were tested to see the effects of second hand smoking and the question I believe was, which would justify the conclusion, or which one is assumed? 

i think this was a weaken and the answer was E -- the spouses of the nonsmokers were all from heavily polluted industrial areas; there was a tempting answer choice earlier that i was gonna mark but when i got to E i realized it was the right answer

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 01:41:40 PM »
*Studies show that smokers are more likely to have diseases.   But smokers also most likely to have addiction to coffeine, so coffeine must be positively correlated with disease.  The goal was to weaken the arguement and I think I went with the one where those smokers who are addicted to caffeine are less than smokers aren't on caffeing to get that disease.

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2006, 01:42:50 PM »
the flood did not cause the fire was the credited one I believe.

The mayor got a TV show on the community cable station. She clearly did this to reward the owner of the show because he supports her. What would be a logical counter/weaken the argument?

Credited response (i think): She also got a show for someone who supported her opponent.

i remember this one; i narrowed it down to 2 but cant remember whcih i chose; again--i was totally out of whack at that point. did much better after the break.

i think there were 2 or 3 pretty straightforward main point/main conclusion ones. actually must have been 3 since the VERY LAST question was a long one about tax breaks for the rich. pretty sure the answer was E, which said something along the lines of progressive tax breaks, just like other tax breaks, favor the rich. right?

I chose E on that one too, but I don't remember what it was.

*spouses of smokers and non smokers were tested to see the effects of second hand smoking and the question I believe was, which would justify the conclusion, or which one is assumed? 

i think this was a weaken and the answer was E -- the spouses of the nonsmokers were all from heavily polluted industrial areas; there was a tempting answer choice earlier that i was gonna mark but when i got to E i realized it was the right answer

Are you sure this was not in experimental?

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2006, 01:43:13 PM »

YES, agree about both.  I just hope I actually went with E, because I definitely know what you're talking about.

Finished

• Murk the system... or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2006, 01:43:37 PM »
how it's better to eat vitamins from actual food, but you also need some fat too, even though it's generally considered that fat is bad, because carrot just by itself can't give you vitamin A.

TCR= the author said that some fats are needed to avoid going to the extreme of removing all fats (she says fats are genreally bad, but...)

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »
*Studies show that smokers are more likely to have diseases.   But smokers also most likely to have addiction to coffeine, so coffeine must be positively correlated with disease.  The goal was to weaken the arguement and I think I went with the one where those smokers who are addicted to caffeine are less than smokers aren't on caffeing to get that disease.

yeah yeah yeah, I chose that smokers who drink caffeinated drinks are less likely to have heart problems!

ryuko

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2006, 01:44:45 PM »
who remembers the insomnia one? about a survey that taking the drug melanonin (sp?) helps people go to sleep but no insomniacs were tested, i think it was a Must be true question

President_Baccaga

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2006, 01:46:34 PM »
The answer was something like "in a group where both insomniacs and normal sleepers were tested, only the normal sleepers shown a significant increase in sleep"... something like that.