Law School Discussion

LR MASTER LIST - SEPT 06 POST MORTEM (1 question left! Help if you can!)

Re: LR MASTER LIST - SEPT06
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 01:34:53 PM »
The medicine against high blood pressure has side effects and is just as effective as exercise and change in diet; therefore, people should exercise and change their diets instead of taking a pill.
Assumption (maybe?) changes is one's diet and exercise have none or less side effects than taking medicine.

i had this one narrowed down to two; cant remember which i chose. was really frazzled at that point...

Finished

• Murk the system... or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 01:35:09 PM »
the flood did not cause the fire was the credited one I believe.

The mayor got a TV show on the community cable station. She clearly did this to reward the owner of the show because he supports her. What would be a logical counter/weaken the argument?

Credited response (i think): She also got a show for someone who supported her opponent.

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 01:35:45 PM »
there was a question about supermarkets planning the layout of their stores so that people have to go all the way to the back of the store to get common items like eggs and bread... this can alienate customers, as they rank this as one of things people dislike about supermarkets...

anyone remember this question and what the credited response is likely to be??

i remember this one. i think it was a principle question. i think the answer choice was E and it was very general in scope; something like 'plans that aim to do certain things can have unintended consequences'

Are you referring to 'even the best-planned things can fail" or "manipulating people can lead to undesirable consequences" ?  B or E?

ss1400

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 01:35:55 PM »
yeah i boiled it down to the unforseen consequences and manipulating customers, but i thought manipulate was such a strong word, i went with unforseen consequences...

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 01:36:38 PM »

The mayor got a TV show on the community cable station. She clearly did this to reward the owner of the show because he supports her. What would be a logical counter/weaken the argument?

Credited response (i think): She also got a show for someone who supported her opponent.

TCR

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 01:36:58 PM »

i remember this one; i narrowed it down to 2 but cant remember whcih i chose; again--i was totally out of whack at that point. did much better after the break.

i think there were 2 or 3 pretty straightforward main point/main conclusion ones. actually must have been 3 since the VERY LAST question was a long one about tax breaks for the rich. pretty sure the answer was E, which said something along the lines of progressive tax breaks, just like other tax breaks, favor the rich. right?

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2006, 01:37:33 PM »
yeah i boiled it down to the unforseen consequences and manipulating customers, but i thought manipulate was such a strong word, i went with unforseen consequences...

manipulating and unforseen consequences were in the same answer,  the other one was 'even the best-planned things can fail'

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2006, 01:37:49 PM »
there was a question about supermarkets planning the layout of their stores so that people have to go all the way to the back of the store to get common items like eggs and bread... this can alienate customers, as they rank this as one of things people dislike about supermarkets...

anyone remember this question and what the credited response is likely to be??

I remember that one.  My answer was that sometimes when businesses (supermarkets) try to manipulate the customers, sometimes they fail. No?

Some random questions I can think of..

*spouses of smokers and non smokers were tested to see the effects of second hand smoking and the question I believe was, which would justify the conclusion, or which one is assumed?  

*argement between two people about whether children can be moral or not because they don't understand morality.

*how it's better to eat vitamins from actual food, but you also need some fat too, even though it's generally considered that fat is bad, because carrot just by itself can't give you vitamin A.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 01:39:05 PM »
i screwed up on the author's view of the researchers in that LR Section. the answer shoulda been "deference" not suspicion. I was going to change it but I ran outta time. DAMN!

Finished

• Murk the system... or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 01:39:51 PM »
Manipulating people may lead to undesirable consequences, TCR
changes is one's diet and exercise have none or less side effects than taking medicine, TCR