Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: California law schools  (Read 3931 times)

bluna

• View Profile
California law schools
« on: February 12, 2004, 01:50:50 AM »
What have you guys heard about these schools?
Anyone going to any of there schools?

Whittier College of Law
University of the Pacific Law School (McGregor)
California Western
Western State University
Chapman
Thomas Jefferson

bobfett33

Re: California law schools
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 04:37:02 AM »
I went to Chapman for my undergrad - what would you like to know, both about Chapman in general and the law school in specific?

TJ student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 09:56:54 PM »
I hear Whittier has an excellent child advocacy program. That's all I know about that school. Costa Mesa is very nice, though!

Cal Western and Thomas Jefferson are pretty much the same. I'm a student at Thomas Jefferson. So far, I like it. Professors are very approachable and competition among students is definitely not cut-throat.

I hear Chapman also has an excellent law school, but don't know much about it.

If you need more info on Thomas Jefferson, let me know! minimeiam@hotmail.com

auto208562

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 11:20:01 PM »
I heard western state may lose it's ABA status.  I probably will not apply there.

You can read more at:
http://www.lawschool.com/wsuupdate.htm

bobfett33

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 03:42:27 AM »

I hear Chapman also has an excellent law school, but don't know much about it.

I don't know what you've heard about Chapman that suggests this!  Chapman Law is, by almost all accounts, a TTT.  Did you know that dozens of their students sued the school two years ago? 

becca

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 01:29:53 AM »

I am in San Diego this weekend taking a look at Cal Western and USD...I've seen Thomas Jefferson before and thought the facilities weren't that great but the faculty was good. I loved Cal Western...I know it's tier III but I honestly liked it a lot better than USD. I'm from San Diego so maybe I'm just partial to the area, but the location is awesome and the people there are really friendly. Diversity and faculty concern seemed higher than at other local schools. I met with the Dean of Admissions and she was very helpful and answered all of my questions. I'm pretty sure that even if I get lots of $$ at USD I'll end up at CW. Let me know if you want any more specifics that aren't on the website. beccaharvey@hotmail.com

nyugrad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 06:12:46 AM »
I met a Whittier grad the other day.  He's doing Real Estate Law and doing extremely well in it.  I will agree that Costa Mesa is a nice town.  I haven't met grads from the other schools, but I would say Whittier is a safe bet. 

Have you thought about Southwestern in Los Angeles county?  People do pretty well for themselves as Southwestern graduates also.  Just something else to think about.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 11:09:40 AM »
I applied to Cal Western, Thomas Jefferson and Southwestern.  From my research I would put them in this order from best reputation down: Southwestern, Cal Western, Thomas Jefferson.  Though, I think they're all fairly close to equal.  I get the feel from all three that faculty are very accessible and that the environment is a friendly one at all three schools.

Right now I'm leaning towards Cal Western.  Going for a visit in a few weeks, so maybe that'll solidify it.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 11:12:59 AM »
I applied to Cal Western, Thomas Jefferson and Southwestern.  From my research I would put them in this order from best reputation down: Southwestern, Cal Western, Thomas Jefferson.  Though, I think they're all fairly close to equal.  I get the feel from all three that faculty are very accessible and that the environment is a friendly one at all three schools.

Right now I'm leaning towards Cal Western.  Going for a visit in a few weeks, so maybe that'll solidify it.

PS...Also depends on what kind of law you think you're interested in.  Southwestern has a really good entertainment law program for a lower-tiered school.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 02:43:46 PM »
Hey GA_Kristi,

I'm in my first year at Southwestern (evening program), and the faculty has been awesome.  In one of my classes this semester, I sit next to a girl who just tranfered from Cal Western.  I'm not sure what her reasons where for the transfer.  I do know that she is already in her third year (day program), and she wants to work in real-estate.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about SW that I may be able to answer.

Good luck.
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator