Law School Discussion

RC Master List Sept 06 PM - We can do it!

Schruted

• I love her.
    • View Profile
Re: RC Master List Sept 06 PM - We can do it!
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2006, 01:28:17 PM »
The starting conditions are replicated exactly. That was the point. All those chaotic zigzags and fractal BS... they don't change. They're always the same, but the drops of water could follow any of the pathways created by them. Even though the starting conditions are exactly the same, you don't know exactly where those drops of water end up or what path they take. Therefore, not being able to replicate results of a chemistry experiment is a hypothetical blah blah blah.

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 01:30:31 PM »
One of the questions in the bankruptcy section asked what someone defending the punitive theory of bankruptcy would agree with. I didn't really understand what they meant there. Was it someone advocating punishment, or advocating leniency through bankruptcy protection

LOL, I didn't understand that one either, but in the end I figured PUNItive must mean PUNIshmen, lol.

And for the question discussed earlier about the scientific theory. I too think I picked the answer where, even if everything was exact, you still wouldn't know the exact result or whatever.

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 01:30:35 PM »
One of the questions in the bankruptcy section asked what someone defending the punitive theory of bankruptcy would agree with. I didn't really understand what they meant there. Was it someone advocating punishment, or advocating leniency through bankruptcy protection

i remember this; i think it had to do with the fact that proponents of the punitive theory think that being in debt exhibits a moral failing of people unable to live within the "sacrosanct" laws of society; i chose the answer choice that had to do with it being a moral failing on the part of the debtor.

ryuko

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 01:33:41 PM »
the bankruptcy section, the which POV would the person advocating a punitive policy agree with, i think it was #10 and was the moral failing of debtors A?

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2006, 01:34:01 PM »
hmmm uhhh, guys... wasn't the word "confident" and not "convinced".... it's true that there were only two "persuaded" ones.. but i thought that they were d and e??? if my memory sevres me correct. and one option was "he is pusudaded yadda yadda, and convinced that the something would change science drastically", and the other was "he is pursuaded yadda yadda, and not sure that something would change science"... i chose "not sure" bc he was in no ways confident that it was *going* to change something. bc he said "*if* true then it would change things", not "this definitely changes science"

right?

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2006, 01:39:04 PM »
The starting conditions are replicated exactly. That was the point. All those chaotic zigzags and fractal BS... they don't change. They're always the same, but the drops of water could follow any of the pathways created by them. Even though the starting conditions are exactly the same, you don't know exactly where those drops of water end up or what path they take. Therefore, not being able to replicate results of a chemistry experiment is a hypothetical blah blah blah.

yes duhon, *but* i think the first paragraph stated that the entire model (which was based off of the riddled basin thing) proves that if there is *any* change in the starting conditions... even something infinitessimal... it changes the results.. so its not that the basin itself was changing, it was the instance of doing it at this time or that time. hence, the starting conditions aren't eactly replicated... i think i put E for that one.. d/e not sure.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2006, 01:44:23 PM »
How could I have screwed up on this question. The one with the author's view. "deference" not suspicion.

ryuko

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2006, 01:45:22 PM »
How could I have screwed up on this question. The one with the author's view. "deference" not suspicion.

which one was that?

thestradgirl

• where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2006, 02:10:14 PM »
That basin passage f*cking pwned me. I couldn't differentiate between Otto and S (whatever his name was)'s model and the basin model. I just know that, for the second or third question, I crossed out something about everything unpredictable in chaos because I knew that was wrong.

For the Mexican American literature.. I think both in the third/fourth question an fifth/sixth question, answer choices that had to do with Mexican literautre dominated by the one bossy institution were incorrect.
I think the third - this was on the first question on the second page of questions for this passage - was something like which can be inferred about Mexican American literature. I was really unsure and ended up picking something like that it was more known for its thematic richness than form, since the form seemed to be considered pretty simple and similar to that of Mexican literature.

I'll post more when I remember more.

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2006, 02:13:01 PM »
hmmm uhhh, guys... wasn't the word "confident" and not "convinced".... it's true that there were only two "persuaded" ones.. but i thought that they were d and e??? if my memory sevres me correct. and one option was "he is pusudaded yadda yadda, and convinced that the something would change science drastically", and the other was "he is pursuaded yadda yadda, and not sure that something would change science"... i chose "not sure" bc he was in no ways confident that it was *going* to change something. bc he said "*if* true then it would change things", not "this definitely changes science"

right?

I think it was d. he's persuaded...and convinced.... because he said that since the two idiots' system is...entirely new, it's "unlikely" that it will lead to blah blah. So "convinced" would be too strong a word here. And he said if this was true...those scientists gotta have to rethink blah blah. So he seems to be more convinced here.