Law School Discussion

RC Master List Sept 06 PM - We can do it!

dusya4

• View Profile
    • Email
RC Master List Sept 06 PM - We can do it!
« on: September 30, 2006, 12:37:05 PM »
Passage 1: Mexican American Writers

1. Main Point
ANSWER:
(one possible one was about heterogeneous but there is general consensus that this is wrong. If you can recall the correct one, let me know)

2.Which question the passage gives the most complete answer to?
ANSWER: why they focused so much on their agrarian past.

3. Which is true of the Mexican-American writers:
ANSWER: Their works are more notable for their thematic content than for their narrative form
(the use of Spanish English indicating brief transition is wrong based on general consensus)

4. Based on the passage, which one of the following statements regarding the 'in-between' character/figures in mexican-american literature would the author agree with most
ANSWER: they resist absorption into mainstream american culture

5.What can be inferred about Mexican American writers from the passage:

ANSWER: They have more freedom to experiment.
ALTERNATIVE: They would not be accepted by Mexican writers because of their regional style

Passage 2: modern bankrucy law v. punitive law

6. Main Point
ANSWER:Shift in the laws away from punishment towards reviving companies in broader interest of society (or something to that effect)

7. What would promoters of punitive bankruptcy law be most likely to agree with?
ANSWER:Large amount bankruptcies are moral failings and should be punished regardless
MINORITY: putting people with insolvencies in jail

8. Which sentence best completes the passage?
ANSWER: Although the new bankruptcy laws are no longer punitive some punishment still exists

9.Why the author suggests it is paradoxical that the modern b laws help creditors
ANSWER: creditors were not necessarily expected to be benefited because
the law was originally created to benefit the debtors
MINORITY:creditors dont necessarily expect to be helped by the modern laws to the extent that they are

10. Author's purpose:
ANSWER:Explain and defend

11.Weaken/counter question to the situation described in lines xxx
ANSWER: a country is more successful by punishing its debtors (AC D)
MINORITY #1: debtors are more financially responsible after jail (AC A)
MINORITY #2: When a large corporation declares bankruptcy and has to lay off all of the employees, even though unemployment goes up, the overall economy of the region is healthier (AC B)

12.What can be inferred about shift in banking laws / Why did the laws evolve from punitive to current:
ANSWER: traditional laws were changed because they no longer benefited society as a whole / to better suit the interests of society

13. What would the author be most likely to agree with?
ANSWER: Convinced that modern bankruptcy laws do not need to be modified.
MINORITY: Approves the changing of previously inefficient laws

Passage 3: how cultures reinterpret history

14. Main Point
ANSWER: New understanding makes it possible (and necessary) to realize that cultures are not so independent of their roots

15. What does "traditional" mean  when used in lines xx?
ANSWER: something about legitimizing power
MINORITY 1: colonizing countries trying to use tradional cermonies in converting people to thier religion
MINORITY 2:  it indicated an abandoned practice that was being revived

16. What is the most analogous to the example described in lines xxx
ANSWER: English reinterpret meaning of native ceremony to celebrate relationship with english and natives, (something that had dance and deities)
MINORITY:English change their religious cermeony to include native elements to recruit natives

17. What is the author's purpose?
ANSWER: author wanted to stress for objectivity when dealing with the origins of cultural identity
MINORITY: new theories support the idea that cultures are not created indpendent of outside influences

18. The passage provides answers to all of the following EXCEPT:
ANSWER: how specifically african culture impacted ancient greek culture

19. Supporters of monolithic national identity (or purveyors of the lie) would most likely agree with which one of the following?
ANSWER: it should not be influenced by outside factors

20. It can be inferred from paragraphs 2 and 3 that:
ANSWER: that traditions that claim to be only one thing are artificial in some way
MINORITY:Something can cross cultural and historical boundaries.

21. What can be best inferred about author's attitude towards the new culture theories
ANSWER: implicit agreement

Passage 4: theory of science and modeling by two guys, O&S

22. Main Point

23. Something about how the author feels about the new theory:
ANSWER: persuaded of the possiblities..., and convinced that it will result in the change of science theory or something like that

24. definition of "basins of influence"
ANSWER: all the water at any point flowed to the same body of water.

25. A similar situation to what's described in the passage
ANSWER: Chemist couldn't repeat the experiment because starting conditions couldn't be replicated.
MINORITY: chemical reaction that worked sometimes and didn't work other times, so the chemist couldn't figure out what was making the difference, since the starting conditions were all the same

26. How is the model different from the phenomenon?
ANSWER: the model has points where the final outcome can be reliably predicted whereas in the phenom that scientists describe, there are no points where the outcome can be reliably predicted

27. Why does the author bring up chaos in a physical system?
ANSWER: In order to emphasize the degree of unpredictability in the other system.

28.it can be inferred from the passage that S and O believed?" or simply what could be inferred?
ANSWER: some experiments can't have the same starting conditions

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: RC Master List Sept 06 PM - We can do it!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 12:37:56 PM »
dusya is a june lsat vet. she's got it going on.. please everybody chip in and add your memories from the test.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 12:40:31 PM »
cultural identities

-what does "traditional" mean as used in lines xx

-what do the "purveyors of xxx" mean when they say xxx in lines xxx

JnJ

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 12:54:04 PM »
Should be a passage about Mexican American writers as well.

Schruted

• I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 01:00:23 PM »
A question in the science passage had an answer choice that involved "persuaded".

I think that was the right choice. At least I hope it was.

Mr. Pink

• @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 01:02:02 PM »
Should be a passage about Mexican American writers as well.

Yeah that's the first one.

Schruted

• I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 01:02:43 PM »
A question in the science passage had an answer choice that involved "persuaded" and then "convinced".

Another one asked for the definition of "basins of influence" or whatever. It was the one where all the water at any point flowed to the same body of water.

Another one involved a chemical reaction that worked sometimes and didn't work other times, so the chemist couldn't figure out what was making the difference, since the starting conditions were all the same. I believe it was A.

I think those were the credited responses. At least I hope they were.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 01:04:53 PM »
A question in the science passage had an answer choice that involved "persuaded" and then "convinced". I believe it was D.

Another one involved a chemical reaction that worked sometimes and didn't work other times, so the chemist couldn't figure out what was making the difference, since the starting conditions were all the same. I believe it was A.

I think those were the credited responses. At least I hope they were.

ah yes, good call on 'persuaded' and 'convinced' -- i remember this one as well and was pretty sure it was TCR. i believe it was a "what is the author's attitude toward this theory?" question.

i dont remember the second one you mentioned at all. must have been the one at the very end i didnt have time to get to.

Schruted

• I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 01:06:09 PM »
Yes, the analogy to a chemist was the final question of the section. It was absurd how long those questions were for that passage. Might've been the longest, if not the hardest, RC section ever.

JnJ

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 01:08:23 PM »
persuaded that it may be correct, convinced that if it is, it changes a fundamental tenant of science...I win

Ick, why isn't it convinced that it is correct, convinced that it changes one fundamental tenant of science?