Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC 2L Taking Questions  (Read 14282 times)

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
Re: BC 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2007, 12:04:44 PM »
who at the USAO will you be working with?

I'll be in the Criminal Division, but I won't know what unit until closer to the start date. They normally try and match you to one of your top two preferences. A full list of the units in the division is here: http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/ma/divisons.html#criminalDivision

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2007, 06:18:38 PM »
So hey, my computer just gave out (right as Vista comes out ... coincidence?)
Anyways, I only have a brief window to get a new one, you haven't heard any more rumblings about being able to use Macs with the exams software, have you?

EDIT (for others interested): so the BC computing website says "Whether or not ExamSoft will run on a macintosh with a windows chip is currently under investigation."  The smae site is all still talking about XP as well, which leads me to believe that they will have to do some upgrading to work with Vista computers ... so maybe they will get macs up on the ExamSoft too ... I think I am going to take my chances...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

GMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2007, 06:29:03 PM »
How many students in your class do you know of that were initially waitlisted?

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2007, 07:03:38 PM »
How many students in your class do you know of that were initially waitlisted?

I know of two in my section. They're both really good guys.

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2007, 07:22:22 PM »
So hey, my computer just gave out (right as Vista comes out ... coincidence?)
Anyways, I only have a brief window to get a new one, you haven't heard any more rumblings about being able to use Macs with the exams software, have you?

EDIT (for others interested): so the BC computing website says "Whether or not ExamSoft will run on a macintosh with a windows chip is currently under investigation."  The smae site is all still talking about XP as well, which leads me to believe that they will have to do some upgrading to work with Vista computers ... so maybe they will get macs up on the ExamSoft too ... I think I am going to take my chances...

Examsoft's official web site seems to indicate that bootcamp will be fine: http://www.examsoft.com/generic/frame.asp?faq

That said, I haven't heard any more word from the powers that be on this one. It's really as much a financial issue as it is a techincal one. BC's IT staff has to run the halls during exams, and it would cost additional money to have Mac experts there in addition to the PC folks. Another excellent point made on the Mac Law Student Blog (http://maclawstudents.com/blog/law-school-exam-software/) is that schools typically contract for their software platforms for several years out and compound that investment by spending money on training their IT support staff in that platform. This makes it unlikely that the school would change horses midstream so to speak.

I'd also note that Erik's post on the Mac Law Student blog is the best source I've seen for describing the different programs being used at law schools around the country, and how each school deals with Macs for exams.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2007, 07:37:04 PM »
as always, thank you
2L, Boston College Law

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2007, 10:53:48 PM »
Hiya Nuke,

Thanks for taking the time to wide-eyed applicants.  I've got a question for you concerning placement from BC.  Would you characterize BC's career placement opportunities as geographically national or do graduates generally have opportunities throughout the country?  I ask because I'd ideally like to persue a legal career in the United States in or around the Los Angeles area (as a Canuck from the frigid North, I'm a sucker for warm weather).  I've been admitted to BC law but still await word from USC and UCLA and question whether or not I'll be admitted.  Will an education at BC law open the door to opportunities in the Southern U.S?

Thanks again!

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2007, 11:19:57 PM »
Is it true there are generally no in-unit W/Ds in Boston? How do you barbarians live!  ;D

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2007, 11:22:39 PM »
Is it true there are generally no in-unit W/Ds in Boston? How do you barbarians live!  ;D

They're called "laundromats". People go there to wash their underwear and pick up women.

Really skeevy women.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2007, 11:35:16 PM »
Hiya Nuke,

Thanks for taking the time to wide-eyed applicants.  I've got a question for you concerning placement from BC.  Would you characterize BC's career placement opportunities as geographically national or do graduates generally have opportunities throughout the country?  I ask because I'd ideally like to persue a legal career in the United States in or around the Los Angeles area (as a Canuck from the frigid North, I'm a sucker for warm weather).  I've been admitted to BC law but still await word from USC and UCLA and question whether or not I'll be admitted.  Will an education at BC law open the door to opportunities in the Southern U.S?

Thanks again!

well the US Attorney in LA is from BC, if that helps at all...
2L, Boston College Law