Law School Discussion

Low GPA statements - riddle

Low GPA statements - riddle
« on: August 23, 2004, 02:29:01 PM »
How do you explain a low GPA resulting from too much partying? (and to boot my minor was law and politics.)  Is it futile? 

...and I know that your not supposed to write the actual ps on that, but I hear it should addressed in an addendum.

..5 years work exp, in a not-so-fancy industry.

Re: Low GPA statements - riddle
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:32:31 PM »
dont write your personal statement about a low gpa!  save the explanation for an addendum.

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 02:34:01 PM »
You'll have to come up with something creative in your addenda.  Turn it into something positive, and include something exciting to go along with it. 

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 02:41:10 PM »
sparky, i see that you are also in the same boat.  what can someone write in an addendum if theres no great reason(death of parent, great illness, etc) for the low gpa?  is it sufficient to just explain that you were immature and have since matured?  although i dont even think that is so effective because if you are still in college how much could you really have matured?

dr_draino

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 04:01:19 PM »
Cassagrossa,

Seems it'll be better if you cite specific habit changes that have occured as a result of the maturation and even better if you can cite specific events that lead to the maturation.  Simply saying "I've matured" doesn't really show much self-reflection or self-awareness.  If you had a true "road-to-damascus" life altering experience, that's probably good enough to write a PS from, particularly if you get creative with the ways the life-altering-event has impacted you apart from "now I wanna go to law school and this time I'll show up to class...on time even...and maybe not even hung-over".

Will we always be damned for being kids when we were kids?!?!?

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 04:19:48 PM »
sparky, i see that you are also in the same boat. what can someone write in an addendum if theres no great reason(death of parent, great illness, etc) for the low gpa? is it sufficient to just explain that you were immature and have since matured? although i dont even think that is so effective because if you are still in college how much could you really have matured?

There are thing that I don't think you should mention on the addendum, which includes the fact that you were immature, out partying, getting high, and etc.  Mention something along the line that you were exploring the finier things in life.  Of all the research I have done on this subject, some werid behavior makes you stand out from the crowd. 

I think it was in the book "Writing to the Point", in which the author described a student taking her final exam at Yale, and instead of finishing her exam, like everyone else in class was doing, she wrote a note to the professor saying how she didn't want to take the exam, and left.  The student ended getting an A in the course. 

So, you could explain how the courses offered in college were of little interests to you and you decided to take up some lesiure activities instead of studying for class.  Whatever the reasons for your low gpa, you must put a positive spin on it and turn it into something positive. 

And don't give me that crap and you can't find a reason.  That's the difference of you going to a tier 1 school and a tier 3  school!

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »
Thank you!  Your advice is absolutely helpful and encouraging.