Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your opinion on Princeton Review's book  (Read 303 times)

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HAC1M36
    • View Profile
Your opinion on Princeton Review's book
« on: September 28, 2006, 09:11:44 PM »
Hey, I got the 2006 edition of "Cracking the LSAT" by princeton review that goes over some basic strategies for the LSAT and has 3 practice tests on paper and includes a cd for 4 additional practice tests online. What do you think of the materials? Are the tips and strategies too basic? I've found that the way they classify the logical reasoning questions differs slightly from the way powerscore bible does. Also are the practice tests helpful and good measure of the difficulty/structure in arguments as the way other real lsats are composed? Any opinions/comments are welcome.
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

FC Kaiserslautern

• AOL Instant Messenger - comradebrezhnev
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Your opinion on Princeton Review's book
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 09:12:39 PM »
a w f u l
keine Ahnung

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 10:17:37 PM »
wow, that's really helpful how descriptive you are, i can tell you'll do great in law school with the convincing argument you provided
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

FC Kaiserslautern

• AOL Instant Messenger - comradebrezhnev
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 12:11:50 AM »
Well, I've been studying out of it for the last four months...

they preach more of a "just skip it" method rather than explaining.
keine Ahnung

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 12:30:34 AM »
My main problem with that book is that it seriously lacks organization, in addition to a set of well-defined and potent principles. As you must have noticed, they tend to give you a series of problems and just explain them away. They TRY to make it seem as though it were clarifying their main principles, but it simply pales in comparison to books like The Logical Reasoning Bible / The Logic Games Bible. The way they've organized that book seems to me like a bad essay with weak content that, despite an attempt at seemingly convincing structure, ends up as poor.
It won't hurt you seriously, but there are books out there that are incomparably better.
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 01:26:08 AM »
Yea i agree, they pretty much assume it's impossible to get a perfect score and are willing to sacrifice some questions so that you can finish on time. The book implies it's also impossible to finish all the questions on time and so just say skip certain areas which seems like an easy cop out.

Also the reading strategies are weak. I find the logical reasoning answeres explanations to be the worst. Sometimes it comes off as "thats not the answer just because" and then theyll say "yep letter A is the answer we're lookin for" without any particular reason besides the fact that the others werent chosen, and I havent even begun to look at games strategies. I think I'll save my time and check out the bibles games before messing up my brain with this crappy princeton review stuff.

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 01:27:45 AM »
Yea i agree, they pretty much assume it's impossible to get a perfect score and are willing to sacrifice some questions so that you can finish on time. The book implies it's also impossible to finish all the questions on time and so just say skip certain areas which seems like an easy cop out.

Also the reading strategies are weak. I find the logical reasoning answeres explanations to be the worst. Sometimes it comes off as "thats not the answer just because" and then theyll say "yep letter A is the answer we're lookin for" without any particular reason besides the fact that the others werent chosen, and I havent even begun to look at games strategies. I think I'll save my time and check out the bibles games before messing up my brain with this crappy princeton review stuff.

This is exactly the right kind of thinking. I think a lot of ppl on this board would be proud
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)