Law School Discussion

Harvard Interviews

H4CS

• View Profile
Re: Harvard Interviews
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 02:03:57 PM »
I have to agree that there is something about Harvard that puts me off a little.

Yeah, I thought that once too.  We all make mistakes.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 02:36:10 PM »
I was just trying to lure H4CS here.  Damn harvard trolls.

Hey, I'm fortunate enough to study with the best faculty in the country.  Before applying, I incorrectly thought I would never go to Harvard, that it was full of people who only came for the name, etc.  I was wrong.  If being honest about my mistakes makes me a troll, so be it.

practiceboy02

• Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 10:33:24 AM »
I haven't been on this message board for a little while, but I wanted to say that I'm a super happy 1L at HLS.  I'd be happy to answer any specific questions that you guys have about HLS, but I think I'll steer away from any talk about the quality of other schools' faculties  :P

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 10:46:31 AM »
Just to chime in on Harvard, I am finding the Harvard Admissions blog increasingly annoying. Its evolved from a helpful resource to a giant plug for Harvard. It's nonstop name-dropping and "testimonials" with students who are just thrilled with everything about Harvard. I guess that's supposed to appeal to prospectives and to some extent it does for me, but the constant gloating and advertising is becoming a turn-off, like Harvard just can't get enough of itself.

the problem is that HLS faces a big PR problem, which I think it partly due to its past (other deans weren't so committed to the student experience) and the desire of other schools to propagate that image.  Toby seems to be trying to dispel these myths and rumors with facts.  lots of facts.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 10:53:25 AM »
Just to chime in on Harvard, I am finding the Harvard Admissions blog increasingly annoying. Its evolved from a helpful resource to a giant plug for Harvard. It's nonstop name-dropping and "testimonials" with students who are just thrilled with everything about Harvard. I guess that's supposed to appeal to prospectives and to some extent it does for me, but the constant gloating and advertising is becoming a turn-off, like Harvard just can't get enough of itself.

the problem is that HLS faces a big PR problem, which I think it partly due to its past (other deans weren't so committed to the student experience) and the desire of other schools to propagate that image.  Toby seems to be trying to dispel these myths and rumors with facts.  lots of facts.

I agree with this.  I really did not think highly of Harvard before I visited and almost made a huge mistake by not coming here.  Toby may be overeager, but if that's the worst thing you can say about him, I can live with it.  Furthermore, applying from abroad, he personally did more than any other admissions officer to make me feel like less of a number.  It's easy to dismiss his efforts as just being mere pablum, but it definitely made a difference to me.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 12:07:49 AM »
Is it true that Harvard students are cutthroat because of the grading system, as opposed to Yale, which has no grades and thus a more collegial atmosphere?   

I can't compare, well, nobody can.  However, there is no cutthroatness here at all.  Honestly, everyone knows they're going to get a job in whatever they want and people are more interested in finding something they're passionate about than competeting.  I've only met one person who honestly seemed competitive in this way and she's not in my section.  This is not unique to Harvard, I'm sure Stanford is the same way.  Once you get here, you needn't worry about much.