Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Index Number Site  (Read 5492 times)

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Index Number Site
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004, 01:08:13 PM »
So, would someone be willing to email me a copy of that spreadsheet?  I can't get to the website and would love to try it out.  my email is amydieterich at hotmail dot com. 

Thanks in advance!

pworth

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2004, 03:11:23 PM »
I hope people were able to download the spreadsheet and further evaluate their chances of admission. That being said, how reliable do you think this is as an indicator. It seems that once I punched in my info it gave me the same index numbers that I had found out through my LSAC admissions pdf for each school, but the percentages for admission dropped overall through the excel document. If anyone knows who or why someone developed this spreadsheet and whether it is an actively up to date indicator I would appreciate it. Thanks

tuffguy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2004, 06:18:52 PM »
So, would someone be willing to email me a copy of that spreadsheet?  I can't get to the website and would love to try it out.  my email is amydieterich at hotmail dot com. 

Thanks in advance!

Mods, is there some way where maybe we can have it posted on this site to download from?  I still can't connect to the site to save my life.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2004, 06:20:18 PM »
I can email it to anyone who wants it, just give me a PM or post the emails here
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2004, 02:30:38 AM »
I do sincerely apologize to bastage and tuffguy for such late replies to the emails but I did get them to you just as I promised. (I am so excited about my wedding) ;D ;)
IVY-Hopeful
 :D

Law School Numbers.com

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
About it's predictive capabilities...
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2004, 11:12:04 AM »
Consider this message to have some initial disclaimer about how you can't really have an index number because it doesn't take into account individual circumstances, yadda yadda yadda...

That having been said, I have a couple of things to note about the spreadsheet. 
1)It's a MUCH nicer interface than the LSAC one, and it looks as though the numbers were updated more recently than 2000, which is when I think the LSAC one was last updated.
2) If you take a minute to look at how your index number is calculated and how the spreadsheet compares your # to others, it will make a lot more sense and cease to look like number soup.
3) If you mess with the %increase in applicants at all, you chances go WAY down for everything.  For example, a 3.5 GPA 165 person has 37% chance into UPENN when there is no % increase in people.  Increase the % of applicants by 2% and you are down to a 21% chance(around).  This is a HUGE jump.
4)It is my suspicion that any increase in applications due to an economic cycle will yield a different type of new applicant than a normal increase in interest in law.  These ship-jumpers are much more likely to be direct graduates from college and therefore have no relevant work experience.  This might lead college admissions officers to look at their numbers and say "Yeah, he did OK at X school, and his numbers are in line with our standards, but what can he bring to the discussion?" 

This is all to support my theory that you should pretty much disregard the %increase in applicants button.  When there is an increase in applicants at all tiers, this formula may work, but I am betting that it's not.  I doubt Podunk U is getting more apps this year than last.  It's the colleges like GW, Fordham and BC that are getting their numbers inflated because there is a large population of people who would rather take on 32k a year in debt than experience the real world.

I think that with an increase in applicants like we have seen, there will be more of a focus on non-number qualifications.  The admissions officer will be looking at a table with 30 applications on it--all with similar numbers--and trying to figure out how to cut some.  With admissions, it's not "Why should I let this person in?"--it's "Why shouldn't I cut his person?" 
Anyway, that is how I see it happening.  People who have interesting experiences are demonstrated interest going to still be OK.  It's the person who came in int he last hour that may suffer. 
Anyone have thoughts on this? 
I seem to have rambled far from the spreedsheet.  It's really a great tool.

Amy

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2004, 11:26:07 AM »
tuffguy,

I could post it here, but I'd only do so with permission from the author.  Does anyone know where it came from?  For some reason I doubt that "North Dakota's Undisputed Yeild Leader" put this together.

tuffguy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2004, 11:38:16 AM »
Thanks Andrew, but I received a copy from Ivy.  Much thanks.
Info on the spreadsheet is:

Based on an admission spreadsheet by yimmym@yahoo.com.  Questions, comments, or revisions email yimmym@yahoo.com, or shaun@nutechseed.com

But yes, changing the percentage of applicants dramatically changes your ability to get in.  Is it completely accurate?  Who knows, but I cretainly hope not.  The difference in percentages when changing number of applicants from .98 to 1.02 is astounding.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2004, 02:59:21 PM »
You're welcome

Law School Numbers.com

mira_j

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2004, 03:14:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am glad that the spreadsheet helped some of you, of course some did not find it helpful which is OK. I know that admission is not based only on numbers, and other things are taken into account, but overall I still think that the website is pretty accurate.
Maybe it would be a great idea to post the spreadsheet, but I really do not know who the real author is (it's not me), and unfortunatelly I tried to find how I got it (I looked in the History Search of my laptop, but I still can't). It won't be fair to the person who took the time and enter all these numbers.

Mira