Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Proposition: Separate and Consolidated School Forums  (Read 1384 times)

flirtingwithdisaster

• packin'
    • View Profile
Proposition: Separate and Consolidated School Forums
« on: September 27, 2006, 10:34:47 PM »
Forgive me if this suggestion has already been made, but personally I think it would be a superb addition if reviews and opinions could be separated and consolidated on a school by school basis.  What I mean to say is, include the ability to simply click on an icon for a specific school, which would then take us take to a separate forum or page containing only reviews and opinions on that school.  I know it can be done on a case by case basis, as is currently done, but I doubt if anyone could count the number of times a specific aspect about a school has been thoroughly covered, only to be quickly buried under a heap of more recent discussions.  Yes, the searching function is effective, but I just thought this might eliminate the tedium of it all, and refine what is already an excellent resource.  Thanks.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: Proposition: Separate and Consolidated School Forums
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 10:59:09 PM »
Hey!

Two things:

1.  I read your earlier post.  You should be aware that you can modify your posts.  If you look at your post after you've entered it, there are tabs on the upper right hand corner of the rectangular box it appears in.  Click the "Modify" tab and go to town.  You can actually fix "scratch" in the post itself.

2.  Doing as you've suggested would take an inordinate amount of time and effort.  First, each one of these child boards would have to be manually created.  Then, they would have to be populated with old posts, which is the type of sorting and categorization that's near impossible, especially given the PHP program that is this forum (I run a forum with the same code elsewhere).  Finally, even if that were done, or just done away with, there's still the issue of controlling future posters.  You may have noticed that threads rarely stay on topic, and they're rarely found in the correct category. 

Unless a poster is diligent (or crazy) enough to go through all the relevant posts and catalogue the pertinent/important information in one single thread, which can then be stickied at the top of a particular board, your proposition is bound to be vetoed by Andrew.  Not that it's a bad idea, mind you.  It would be extremely useful.  It's just, for all intents and purposes, impossible.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

flirtingwithdisaster

• packin'
    • View Profile
Re: Proposition: Separate and Consolidated School Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 01:08:42 PM »
A very thorough answer. I appreciate the effort. Thanks for the tip as well.