Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2010 - Ponder this...  (Read 3623 times)

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
Class of 2010 - Ponder this...
« on: September 27, 2006, 06:14:28 PM »
I just met a girl today who's interested in going to law school next fall, and graduating in 2010.  Great!  Just like me.  I start asking her about the LSAT, and she goes on to tell me that she's not worried about it because she's more concerned with finishing up her Bachelor's first.  Um...ok.  Continuing on...I go on to tell her about this program can be stressful at times, but LSAT stressful -- anyone can get a 180 with enough time, same thing with some of the situations we have.  She then goes on to say how she'll do great both in the training program and on the LSAT (that she hasn't started studying for) because she is such a logical thinker.  She then tries to explain an LG to me, and how that proves she's a great thinker.  I don't think it ever sunk in though that I've actually been studying for the LSAT and taking them in 3 days.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Class of 2010 - Ponder this...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 07:15:57 PM »
Hah, is your point just that this girl was stupid?  Don't get me wrong, I am all about elitism.   
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 07:18:32 PM »
Well, she is either blissfully ignorant of rankings or she just doesn't care.  I wish I could say the same.

chewy06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 07:39:41 PM »
I saw a girl in one of my classes today with the Kaplan class book going through it.

All I could think about was Wow, if you're going through that book 3 days out of the test, you're doomed to the third tier.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 10:02:28 AM »
Last year before about a month before the Dec. exam I ran into a guy who was also taking the test and handn't studied yet...and was planning on going to WUSTL. He said he wasn't worried about getting in because he's dad is good friends with a partner at a big firm in St. Louis.

I was like "Right....."

It's one thing when people don't study but expect to go to TTT schools, it's another thing when people think they can get into top schools without sutdying.

radioface

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 10:57:36 AM »
I like this thread.

Saw I girl that bartends at one of the restaurants I frequent in town walking out of the June LSAT. asked her how she felt. "I almost finished all the sections so I feel really good of course"

of course 
Penn Law '10

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 11:04:25 AM »
Not to boast, but it is possible to get decent results without much studying. I first took the test in 1998 and only studied for one week. Also didn't sleep at all the night before. Got 168. (though it did include a lot of lucky guessing). Now for the shameul part: I took the December 2004 after a month of studying and got a 167. Go figure.
Penn (2007)

gemeg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »
In June, I went to eat lunch at a coffee shop downtown before the test, and there was a table of two girls frantically working out logic games from a couple of those free lsac practice tests. The funniest part is that they were acting so important about it, like "look at us, we're so smart, we're about to take the LSAT" - being a little louder than necessary about correcting the other's mistakes, etc. This was obviously the first time they had sat down to look at any material. I sincerely felt sorry for them.

President_Baccaga

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 12:57:08 PM »
I have a friend that took one practice test a week before taking the LSAT and that was the extent of his preparation.  Got a 171 and finished 3rd in his class at Georgetown.

Some people just have that gift...  I'm sure if he would have put even a week's effort into it, he would have walked out of there with a 180.

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 03:16:16 PM »
Studied for only 2 weeks.

Got a 166.

Went to a ttt despite good acceptances because of a full scholarship.

Faired decently in law school for past 2 years. Some awards, journal experience, interesting internships, but edged out of top third of class.

Having a b*tch of a time finding a job, but not too worried about it, yet.

Moral of the story: despite what many people think, its possible to be in the middle of the pack when it comes to law school. Not everybody is either a crazy overachiever or a complete loser.