Law School Discussion

Criminal Addendums

Criminal Addendums
« on: August 23, 2004, 02:42:07 PM »
I see no reason to ramble on about how I once was a @#!*-up, so here's mine:

In June of 1998, at the age of 16, I was convicted of a “minor in possession of alcohol” charge. 

Should my conviction be in quotation marks?  Comments, critique?

nathanielmark

Re: Criminal Addendums
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 03:36:17 PM »
bleh. most schools dont even ask about juvenile matters.  if you need to dislcose it you should state the sentence also

Dewitt

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 04:32:26 PM »
couldn't you get something like that expunged?

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 06:25:02 PM »
Yep, just make sure your law school application agrees with what the ABA will find when they investigate you.  And yes they can find out your record even if it's expunged.

elisel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 07:18:38 PM »
Have you read the Montauk book?  He has an example of a criminal addendum where they guy says he has contacted the bar assn of the state he wishes to practice in and they have assured him there is a good chance of admission, etc.  Maybe it would be good to do something like that, just so they know you take it seriously.

BAFF213

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 07:24:04 PM »
I have a minor transporting arrest from when I was 17 (not a juvenile).  I also have a threatening to commit a crime (beat up my little sister's boyfriend).  My pre-law advisor (a lawyer) has assured me that neither of these is a big deal.  She also has informed me that she was arrested 5 times before law school and had no trouble getting into law school.  I'm pretty sure she had no problem getting her license to practice as well.