Law School Discussion

WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION?

WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION?
« on: August 23, 2004, 02:41:53 PM »
If I want to be a law professor, how good of a law school do I have to get into?  I heard they mainly come from hard schools.  Was that a lie? 

DOWNY

Re: WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:47:32 PM »
Of course that's a lie!!! Most law profs. come from Cooley, Concord Online Law School and Abraham Lincoln Online School of Law. This is obvious- if I'm shelling out 30 grand a year to go to Columbia, why would I want Harvard and Yale grads teaching me? GIVE ME THE COOLIES!

Dewitt

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 03:03:03 PM »
rootbeer, "is that a lie?" haha, thats an interesting way to phrase your question. the answer is no its not. law professors have cushier jobs than attorneys and they make a lot too. its very competitive to be one. however, i wouldn't say going to a third tier will preclude you from that job.

by the way, whats with writing the thread subject in all caps? thats obnoxious, man.

DOWNY

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 03:03:52 PM »
ALL CAPS IS THE BESTEST WAY TOO TYPE THINGS BECUZ THEN PPLZ NO YOU ARE A SERIOUZ LAW STOODANT.

lawguy

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 03:09:33 PM »
Check out this article by Prof. Brian Leiter to get a good overview of the whole thing:

http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/GUIDE.HTM

Also this is a great resource with a ton of links:

http://eric_goldman.tripod.com/resources/becomingalawprofessor.htm

But yeah basically you gotta be the bomb to teach at a tier 1 school: top 14 (if not top 5); law review; clerkship; and so on.

dunson

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 10:38:09 PM »
A good number of practicing attorneys teach part-time or retire to teach at local colleges, usually teaching an area they practiced in.  But I think a lot of law professors come from good schools(probably doesn't have to be the best) have had respectable clerkships, are adept at research and may have earned an J.S.D or an S.J.D. on top of a J.D.