Law School Discussion

recommendation situation

Maryanne007

• GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
recommendation situation
« on: August 23, 2004, 12:57:45 PM »
Hi, just need a little advice.

I have three letters of recommendation that will hopefully come in within the next two weeks (one of them already has, waiting on the other two).

I am an econ major but b/c econ classes are huge and dont require much writing or knowledge of the professor, none of my letters are from econ professors.  Is this necessarily bad?

Two of the letters are from small seminars in sociology.  The first professor seemed to like me, gave me an A, but I didnt participate in class that much.  However, I did write a term paper that I mention in my personal statement.  The second professor seemed to like me a lot, wrote in an email that I was a great student that professors always hope for, and also gave me an A.  The third letter is from a TF in a somewhat BS class.  She seems to like me a lot as she asked me to babysit her son for her in the fall and she is the only one I spoke extensively with regarding law school and why I want to go and my desire to do public interest.

Question, for apps that say they just require 2 letters.  Which ones would you pick? 

Also, since two fo the letters havent been received yet, I'm thinking of sending them thank you cards (although I thanked them profusely when they had agreed)... as a way of reminding them in case they have forgotten.  I asked them over two months ago.  :-\ So a little surprised that they havent written them yet, although I did tell them September 1 was the deadline...

Thoughts, suggestions?  Thanks a lot, this process is beginning to really takes it toll on me!

Miltra

• Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: recommendation situation
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 01:01:50 PM »
Get rid of the first one.  It doesn't say much other than "Yes, she really DID complete this course..."

Why did you get three in the first place? 

Maryanne007

• GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
Re: recommendation situation
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 01:07:23 PM »
well some schools allow up to 4, so i thought the more the better... and when i got the first one, i didnt know who else was going to write me one, so I just wanted it as a safety...  :)