Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First LSAT score, and I am freakin out.  (Read 1385 times)

JustJeff

• View Profile
    • Email
First LSAT score, and I am freakin out.
« on: August 23, 2004, 02:06:20 PM »
I just took my first practice test.  I got a 145.  I guessed on every question in the games section and got 4 correct.  I know that once I learn how to do the games my score should improve, but this can't be a good score. 
Can anyone tell me how bad this is?  Thanks.

Matthew_24_24

Re: First LSAT score, and I am freakin out.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 03:13:19 PM »
Sounds like you aren't familiar with the basic logical rules and deductions used in those types of games.  First key is to learn those rules...and apply them deliberately (at a pace you can handle). 

That is the first step.  Turn the clock off (it appears you don't know how to solve those types of problems at the moment) and learn how to solve those problems successfully.  Take 4 to 5 old lsats and learn how to solve the games section.

Next, take 2-3 sections and put yourself on a timer. Give yourself 30 minutes, then 25 minutes, 20 minutes...and then 17.5 minutes.  Work on that time scale until you can successfully complete 2 games with one or no errors.   At least by then you will be able to score 12-15 out of 24 (guessing included).  That should get your score into the 150's by itself. 

After that, make 11.5 minutes per game your next target.  Depending on your LSAT write date, that might be the most optimistic timeline you can hope for.  Despite what most people on this board can do...most people cannot solve 4 games in 35 minutes.  Generally those people (at least from my experience) who are able to nail 4 games...were able to answer 2 games successfully their first try (at a minimum). 

Good luck,

Matt

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 03:16:05 PM »
You're doomed!!  Might as well go jump off a building!!

<giggle>

Chill out.  Wait, no. That craziness may make you into a good lawyer. 

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 03:16:15 PM »
when are you taking the exam?

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 03:18:50 PM »
you arent doomed, i only did 3 out of 4 games on my last practice and still got a 171.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 03:45:24 PM »
It is a below average score, average being about 151. Don't worry. You are probably just unfamiliar with the test. This is not a bad thing; you have no bad habits. I would get the LG and LR Bibles and really work hard. It might be good to get the Nova book too. Go through the Nova book first and get a good overview. Take a preptest. Big improvement right? Not real hard to improve from a 145. Now the work begins. Go through the Bibles, take preptests, review mistakes and keep focused. 160+ in no time. (well not NO time)

Good Luck.
shaz
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 04:34:52 PM »
went from a 147 - 162 in under a month... dont sweat it... once you become familiar with the test it gets easier.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

JustJeff

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 09:36:46 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I know that once I learn how to do the games my score should improve, but I do not think I can reasonably expect over a 160. 

I am taking the December test.  I was wondering how much everyone else's scores increased from the 1st practice test to now.  Thanks again.

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 03:51:31 PM »
158 to 171. (June till now)

Matt

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 04:04:23 PM »
153 (blind first practice) to 178 (actual test).

'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'