Law School Discussion

Disclosing minor traffic violations

skeeball

• View Profile
Disclosing minor traffic violations
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:04:46 AM »
So one of my schools (Loyola Chicago) wants to know ALL law times you've broken the law, INCLUDING minor traffic violations, even if they've been expunged from your records, for when you were an adult AND a juvenile.

I had 3 speeding tickets in a 6 month period when I was 19 (I'm 24 now), and one last May. I had all but one of the ones from when I was 19 changed to non-moving violations. I ordered my driving record and it's totally clean.

I asked my admissions consultant how to handle this and she said I needed to do some research.

Is anyone else having to find out information like this? Any suggestions?

skeeball

• View Profile
Re: Disclosing minor traffic violations
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 11:06:45 AM »
Bump.

Anyone?

Vick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 01:35:36 PM »
I am wondering the same thing.  One of my applications (I think it was Emory?) has asked me to disclose all traffic violations.  I've had five or six speeding tickets since receiving my license in 98. I have no idea where to start researching this issue. 

RUMike

• I switched it up with a self tar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 03:06:49 PM »
I hate that they ask that. I'd provide all the information you have/remember in regards to the offenses. And say what changed- for instance I had 4 pt speeding offense downgraded to a careless driving (no points) and I think something like that makes a difference.

zoom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 10:21:20 AM »
I've also had the same concern with Loyola.  I can't even remember the what YEAR I got some of my tickets.  Hopefully they'll be at the law school fair I'm going to this evening so I can ask them to clarify.

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 10:28:47 AM »
I've also had the same concern with Loyola.  I can't even remember the what YEAR I got some of my tickets.  Hopefully they'll be at the law school fair I'm going to this evening so I can ask them to clarify.

Will you please give us an update and let us know what they say???

zoom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 05:56:43 AM »

Well so much for that^ idea.  There wasn't a rep present from Loyola Chicago, just a table with pamphlets and an email sign up sheet--I hate when they do that.  I did however talk to a rep from Arizona State about it (their application asks the same thing as Loyola.) He said they are only concerned with citations that were over $200, otherwise you don't need to list it.  It would probably be best to contact each school directly and see what they say.