Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt 1L taking questions  (Read 1938 times)

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Boalt 1L taking questions
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 06:26:26 AM »
[How is Manville/the other grad apartments?
Manville is a good option because: 1) you get your own studio apartment, 2) it is conveniently located near food, theatres, bars, etc. 3) the amount you pay is equal to what you would pay for a non-university owned studio.

The other grad apartments (Ida Jackson) are much closer to the law school, but you don't get as much for your money.  You pay almost as much as you pay for Manville, but you share an apartment with as many as 5 other people.  Granted, you have your own room, but you still have to share a kitchen, bathroom, etc.  If you are willing to share ammenities, you can save yourself $300-$400 dollars a month and find a room in non-university owned house or apartment. 

Another option is the International House.  On the downside, it is essentially a dorm (although law students have their own rooms). On the upside, it is literally right across the street from the law school.

Blondie's or fat slice?[/b
Blondie's.

Thank you! Good choice with the pizza, by the way. :D

GOB

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 05:19:41 PM »
Bump.  I can answer any questions, too. 

There's a long thread about Boalt here: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,54410.0.html
Boalt 3L

prolesurge

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 03:02:43 AM »
I just want to say that I enjoy the fact that DawnTinsley and GOB both have, clearly, very good taste when it comes to television watching.

Go Bears, Go.

budlaw

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 06:44:16 PM »
fire away....

So is K-slut, or whatever that Tennessee tramp's name is, as annoying in real life as she is on the internet?

xk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 07:08:47 PM »
LSN numbers on scholarships and financial aid is a bit unreliable.  Is Boalt pretty generous when it comes to merit-based scholarships?  Do they match awards from peer schools?

DawnTinsley

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 07:52:55 PM »
LSN numbers on scholarships and financial aid is a bit unreliable.  Is Boalt pretty generous when it comes to merit-based scholarships?  Do they match awards from peer schools?

Yeah, LSN isn't very reliable when it comes to analyzing Boalt's financial aid. 

Overall, it's hard to say how generous Boalt is when it comes to merit-based aid. Here are some points to consider:

1)  Yes, Boalt does have a matching awards program that will match offers from the other T14 schools (minus Northwestern).  However, if you submit an award to be matched, there is no guarentee that it will be.  I don't know what percentage of people who request them are actually granted a matching scholarship, but my advice is to submit your request ASAP if you are considering one.
2)  Overall, Boalt's tution is less expensive than other schools.  This is especially true when you consider the fact that everyone can qualify for in-state tution after their first year.  So to a certain degree, I think this affects how much aid they give out.
3) Boalt is a public school.  They have less money to throw around than some private schools do.
4) Boalt has a very generous Loan Repayment Assistance Program (for those going into low-paying jobs after graduation), as well as public interest summer stipends.
5) Boalt considers "merit" to be more than just those with the highest numbers.

pja2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 05:17:49 PM »
Can you get a BIGLAW job with all Ps?

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 05:44:09 PM »
Blondie's or fat slice?
Blondie's.

Thank you! Good choice with the pizza, by the way. :D
Wrong...and Marshawn agrees with me.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12605

But the Blondie's in SF is so convenient!

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 06:27:29 PM »
True (in fact, I was there last weekend). But in Berkeley, the extra block to Fat Slice is worth it.

I think you've spent too much time on Telegraph. The fumes got to you.
Penn (2007)

DawnTinsley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 06:57:14 PM »
Can you get a BIGLAW job with all Ps?

I'm only a IL...so I don't have personal experience yet.  However, rumor has it that - yes - you can can get BIGLAW with all P's.