Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Engineering Degree... Any advantage?  (Read 641 times)

AllGroovy

• View Profile
Engineering Degree... Any advantage?
« on: September 22, 2006, 04:25:51 PM »
I've heard conflicting reports on whether Law School's really look at undergraduate degrees.  I have an engineering degree (Mechanical Engineering from Case Western) with about a years worth of related technical job experience.  Will this give me any advantage??... Unfortunately, due partly to the nature of the degree, I feel that my UGPA is not representative of my aptitude for studying law.  My GPA is 2.75 and LSAT is 168.  This being said, should I write an addendum to focus on that, or will that simply sound like I'm making illegitimate excuses?

Also, any thought as to chance at a top 50 law school? I'm scared away when I look at GPA's, though I know my LSAT is right there with most.  I'd be looking at Case, Pitt, Ohio St., plus a few west coast schools (Hastings, Lewis & Clark, UW, Cal(a dream)).

Thanks a ton... best of luck to the rest of ya!

h2xblive

Re: Engineering Degree... Any advantage?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »
It will help slightly, but won't "justify" a sub-par GPA.  Yes, many admissions officers know mechanical engineering majors might have lower GPAs than "conventional" law school major like history, sociology, and political science (despite equal legal-reasoning ability), but this doesn't mean they'll start taking GPAs that lower their USNWR rank  ::)

Also, it can depend on what school you're applying to and whether they have technology related law fields.

From what I gather from these boards, it's better to have a 3.8 in history than 2.8 in chemical engineering - at least in regards to getting into most law schools.

azstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »
the weight it better as long as it's within the 25-75 range for the school

LaneSwerver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 08:37:32 PM »
For what it's worth, you'll have a nice advantage once you get into school. Beforehand, I don't know, but all my friends who are engineers had no trouble getting summer employment, though it was usually in some horrid IP firm...

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 09:54:39 AM »
A 2.75 GPA, even in Engineering seems quite low. I thought my Canadian engineering school's average was low at 2.95, I don't see how an American school's average can be lower than that.

Although, some dean's certification might help. They could rank you versus the rest of the students in your program and that might help adcomms. Of course, if it's something adcomms have not asked for, then i'm not sure if you should.

btw, how many of you go to schools where the class average for each class is shown on the transcript?
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.