Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Improving LSAT VOCAB  (Read 554 times)

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HAC1M36
    • View Profile
Improving LSAT VOCAB
« on: September 21, 2006, 11:47:38 PM »
One of my weakest areas seems to be reading comp. After reading most of the essays I find myself thinking WTF just happened when I look at the questions. Part of the reason may be some of the tricky vocab assocaited with the reading comps. Anyone got a good idea on how to improve LSAT vocab over 8-9 month period???
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

nyu4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Improving LSAT VOCAB
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 11:58:45 PM »
One of my weakest areas seems to be reading comp. After reading most of the essays I find myself thinking WTF just happened when I look at the questions. Part of the reason may be some of the tricky vocab assocaited with the reading comps. Anyone got a good idea on how to improve LSAT vocab over 8-9 month period???

Hello again :)

Just read and read and read, and look up any words you do not know.  I'm not saying read Harry Potter or Sports Illustrated, but materials that are a little more advanced.

nyu4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 12:06:16 AM »
At the very least it'll prepare for for the sh$%storm of reading you have to do in LS.

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 12:54:47 AM »
Any specific recommendations of authors, books, magazines to concentrate on???
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 01:05:14 AM »
thanks!

TheCanadian

• Sr. Citizen
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 01:30:06 AM »
The reading comps reminds me of my grade 7 english exam  :-\
Excuse me, I just noticed you noticing me and I just wanted to give you notice that I noticed you too.

austin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 08:01:43 AM »
For vocab, take a course in Latin.
For reading comp, read the newspaper every day.

Ibsulon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 09:37:10 AM »
Also, reading philsophy is really useful for some of the underlying concepts that you will find in many of the reading sections.

orangie

• Sr. Citizen
  • GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 09:40:10 AM »
I think Wall Street Journal is pretty good too.  And if you're a students, you can get a 15-week subscription for like $10.

Artichoke Mayhem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 04:06:57 PM »
Seek periodicals which have been considered to be reputable authorities. This is a stretch but try legal reviews. Start off on topics that interest you and then go deeper. I am sure this will test your attention span but will give you an edge on the comp. when discussing key legal topics.  ;)