Law School Discussion

Improving LSAT VOCAB

HaciM36

• YUM YUM YUM
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HAC1M36
    • View Profile
Improving LSAT VOCAB
« on: September 21, 2006, 09:47:38 PM »
One of my weakest areas seems to be reading comp. After reading most of the essays I find myself thinking WTF just happened when I look at the questions. Part of the reason may be some of the tricky vocab assocaited with the reading comps. Anyone got a good idea on how to improve LSAT vocab over 8-9 month period???

Re: Improving LSAT VOCAB
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 09:58:45 PM »
One of my weakest areas seems to be reading comp. After reading most of the essays I find myself thinking WTF just happened when I look at the questions. Part of the reason may be some of the tricky vocab assocaited with the reading comps. Anyone got a good idea on how to improve LSAT vocab over 8-9 month period???

Hello again :)

Just read and read and read, and look up any words you do not know.  I'm not saying read Harry Potter or Sports Illustrated, but materials that are a little more advanced.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 10:06:16 PM »
At the very least it'll prepare for for the sh$%storm of reading you have to do in LS.

HaciM36

• YUM YUM YUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 10:54:47 PM »
Any specific recommendations of authors, books, magazines to concentrate on???

HaciM36

• YUM YUM YUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:05:14 PM »
thanks!

TheCanadian

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 11:30:06 PM »
The reading comps reminds me of my grade 7 english exam  :-\

austin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 06:01:43 AM »
For vocab, take a course in Latin.
For reading comp, read the newspaper every day.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 07:37:10 AM »
Also, reading philsophy is really useful for some of the underlying concepts that you will find in many of the reading sections.

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 07:40:10 AM »
I think Wall Street Journal is pretty good too.  And if you're a students, you can get a 15-week subscription for like $10.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 02:06:57 PM »
Seek periodicals which have been considered to be reputable authorities. This is a stretch but try legal reviews. Start off on topics that interest you and then go deeper. I am sure this will test your attention span but will give you an edge on the comp. when discussing key legal topics.  ;)