Is Harvard/Yale what you expected?

Better than expected
 5 (41.7%)
What I expected
 5 (41.7%)
Less than expected
 2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Question(s) for all African-American students at Harvard or Yale...  (Read 3108 times)

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
Do you think Yale/Harvard was what you expected?  Is (was) it worth your time and money?  As a minority...Do you feel integrated in the student body?  Is racism and/or classism a factor there? And in retrospect...Do you think you would've had a better experience at an HBCU Law School like Howard overall?
Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question(s) for all AA students at Harvard or Yale...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 10:57:36 AM »
Do you think Yale/Harvard was what you expected?  Is (was) it worth you time and money?  As a minority...Do you feel integrated in the student body?  Is race and/or class a factor there? And in retrospect...Do you think you would've had a better experience at an HBCU Law School like Howard overall?

Perhaps just a matter of semantics, but I wonder why you didn't title the thread "Question for all minority students at Harvard or Yale."  The question you asked deals with the experience of being a racial/ethnic minority on campus.  The way the question is phrased almost makes it seem like there is an assumption that every minority student is at the school because of affirmative action.

Just my thought.  But I would like to hear the responses to the actual question asked, nonetheless.  :)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 11:01:06 AM »
Do you think Yale/Harvard was what you expected?  Is (was) it worth you time and money?  As a minority...Do you feel integrated in the student body?  Is race and/or class a factor there? And in retrospect...Do you think you would've had a better experience at an HBCU Law School like Howard overall?

Perhaps just a matter of semantics, but I wonder why you didn't title the thread "Question for all minority students at Harvard or Yale."  The question you asked deals with the experience of being a racial/ethnic minority on campus.  The way the question is phrased almost makes it seem like there is an assumption that every minority student is at the school because of affirmative action.

Just my thought.  But I would like to hear the responses to the actual question asked, nonetheless.  :)

AA actually refers to African American, in this case.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 11:06:18 AM »
LOL.  I think I've read too many affirmative action threads recently :)  This is what happens when I try posting before 8 AM, I see!  Sorry 'bout that.

I'd also be interested in hearing the experiences of other underrepresented groups at these schools, in that case.

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:23:49 AM »
LOL.  I think I've read too many affirmative action threads recently :)  This is what happens when I try posting before 8 AM, I see!  Sorry 'bout that.

I'd also be interested in hearing the experiences of other underrepresented groups at these schools, in that case.

I wouldn't mind getting a response from other URM either.  I am just more concerned with African-Americans opinion in this case, as our experiences tend to be different in this country for obvious reasons.

Btw, thank you Moni for clearing that AA thing up... "Moni in the middle."

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Question(s) for all African-American students at Harvard or Yale...
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 05:41:18 PM »
Do you think Yale/Harvard was what you expected?

Basically.  Better in some ways, worse in others.  Overall, great, though.

Is (was) it worth your time and money?

Indubitably.

As a minority...Do you feel integrated in the student body?

Yes.

Is race and/or class a factor there?

Factor how?  Overt instances pop up every now and then...the most recent being the Kiwi Camara incident (google if you don't know).  But overall, I don't find being black to be a problem. 

As for class, most people are of generally the same social class, so... But I don't think anyone who is not in that social class feels terribly out of place.

And in retrospect...Do you think you would've had a better experience at an HBCU Law School like Howard overall?

No.

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 06:32:52 PM »
Thanks for the 411 Alcibiades! 

When I stated class, I was thinking about the social clicks (ex. Skull and Bones, etc.) that folks from privilege backgrounds (either political of economic) join.  I was wondering if you have to deal with a bunch of rich white folks (or wannabes) in certain clicks being condescending towards minorities.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 06:43:05 PM »

When I stated class, I was thinking about the social clicks (ex. Skull and Bones, etc.) that folks from privilege backgrounds (either political of economic) join.  I was wondering if you have to deal with a bunch of rich white folks (or wannabes) in certain clicks being condescending towards minorities.

Lol, no.  There aren't any secret societies (that I know of...).  There are several affinity groups, of course, but blacks are welcome to join any of them.  Even the Federalist Society has had black officers in the past.

So Yeah....

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 06:44:46 PM »
what do you all have against stanford?

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 06:58:05 PM »

Lol, no.  There aren't any secret societies (that I know of...).  There are several affinity groups, of course, but blacks are welcome to join any of them.  Even the Federalist Society has had black officers in the past.

What a relief!  I am glad to hear of your positive experiences...once again thanks!

what do you all have against stanford?

Absolutely nothing! 

I didn't include it in my question because I am already somewhat aware of Stanford's environment.