Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question: Area of Focus vs. Area of Practice  (Read 273 times)

jmeyers01

• View Profile
    • Myspace Page
Question: Area of Focus vs. Area of Practice
« on: September 20, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
I have already taken the LSAT last year and taken care of all my docs so will soon be applying however hope someone can answer this general question.

A friend of the family own a personal injury firm and would like me to come work with him upon passing the bar. My question is: if I plan to practice personal injury as my specialty do I therefore have to go to a school that has personal injury as an area of focus. I understand that it would make more sense to go to a school that offers personal injury as an area of focus, I am just wondering if it is required.

Please let me know if anyone is a little more savvy than myself. Thanks!

CILover

• Enjoy the Miami sun!
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Area of Focus vs. Area of Practice
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 10:13:29 PM »
You should find a law school that has a strong personal injury program or certificate. I don't think that you should have one specialty though.
Destination: FIU College of Law or Nova Southeastern Shepard Law Center (part time)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: Question: Area of Focus vs. Area of Practice
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 10:20:42 PM »
No, don't worry about the specialty.

Shoot for the best school you can go to.  If you can't hit anything in the first two tiers, THEN start being program-specific. 

Personal injury is not that technical of a field, anyway.  I'm sure your family friend will teach you all you need to know within a year.  The smart thing to do would be to spend summers at that firm learning the business.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.