Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian Picks  (Read 9251 times)

rizz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up baby I know it.
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Picks
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 10:14:11 PM »
Can anyone tell me the differences between Manitoba, UNB, or Windsor (for the JD/LLB)? I am trying to figure out which one to go to, and can't really tell them apart after looking at their websites and info. Any insight would be great.

The difference is location. Windsor is in Ontario and as such is known better regional esp. in the London/Toronto markets, it also places better on Bay st. than the other two. UNB and Manitoba are in the middle of nowhere and job opp. are limited coming from them as they are not close to any major markets.

Hewsinator

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 02:01:40 AM »
I truly believe that in Canada, all Law schools are good, and your placing in the class is more important than the school. There are just too many variables with too few schools for a smart employer to out too much weight into the school vs success in school.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 02:42:42 AM »
With the exception of UBC, Toronto, and McGill, which carry more prestige than the other schools.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 09:33:43 AM »
With the exception of UBC, Toronto, and McGill, which carry more prestige than the other schools.

Totally agree. Except maybe in certain fields, ex: Queen's Business and Waterloo Engineering and computer science.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

rizz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 02:09:50 PM »

why ubc? Their lawschool is good but I don't think I would put it in the same tier as UofT/mcgill at all. I don't see what makes it better than most of the other ontario schools and from what I've seen it certainly doesn't have more prestige.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 03:34:44 PM »

why ubc? Their lawschool is good but I don't think I would put it in the same tier as UofT/mcgill at all. I don't see what makes it better than most of the other ontario schools and from what I've seen it certainly doesn't have more prestige.

The school as a whole has a lot of prestige. Not necessarily it's law school. I heard that they have very innovative coop programs for ugrads.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 04:51:05 PM »
Regionality.  Take your East Coast blinders off.  UBC does far better than any other Canadian school in the west.  Even if it doesn't rank with UT and McGill in pure "prestige" (whatever the @#!* that might be), it certainly ranks ahead of the other Canadian schools. 

Which was exactly my point.

Hewsinator

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 05:54:06 PM »
I am by no means an expert, but I think the prestige is in the region too (I know not 100%). The best advice I have been given, and am doing, is try to go where you want to practice. I do not think the "prestige" will make up for your ability to succeed at the school, cost, all those other personal factors. Also, there may be some value in networking in the community, and of course this would be best if that community is the one you want to work in. For me, there is no chance in hell of me wanting to work out east or in BC, so Alberta is my hope.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 06:15:45 PM »
I am by no means an expert, but I think the prestige is in the region too (I know not 100%). The best advice I have been given, and am doing, is try to go where you want to practice. I do not think the "prestige" will make up for your ability to succeed at the school, cost, all those other personal factors. Also, there may be some value in networking in the community, and of course this would be best if that community is the one you want to work in. For me, there is no chance in hell of me wanting to work out east or in BC, so Alberta is my hope.

This is, of course, TCR.

rizz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006, 09:00:10 PM »
Regionality.  Take your East Coast blinders off.  UBC does far better than any other Canadian school in the west.  Even if it doesn't rank with UT and McGill in pure "prestige" (whatever the @#!* that might be), it certainly ranks ahead of the other Canadian schools. 

Which was exactly my point.

Well yeah I agree but I think my point was that UofT and Mcgill seem to be the only law schools that are really known outside of Canada and get OCIs from NY and Boston. UBC is no doubt a good school and places best in the Vancouver area along with Uvic but I would by no means rank it in a tier above queens/western/osgoode/dal/ottawa/UofA etc..