Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US News Rankings are Bogus  (Read 19168 times)

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: US News Rankings are Bogus
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 11:30:53 PM »
Whoa, I thought former and future Boalt students are supposed to like each other.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 10:34:23 AM »
oh yeah and my girlfriend is a 3-L at hastings... she is in the top 25% of her class, not in moot court or law journal, and she summered at, was offered, and accepted an offer at Orrick, the #1 firm in the bay area and a top firm nationally and internationally. She will be making $135,000/year starting next year... all that from getting good but not great grades and not doing any extracurriclars...

just another reason why US News is bogus - The Firms know US News is bogus. That's why hastings is still top 20 for top firm recruitment despite being ranked 43rd in US News.

good for her. how do you explain your classmates who have resorted to posting their resume on craigslist to look for jobs?

Is it really necessary to knock other people's schools? I think this guy was pretty much shot down in this thread already, and it's from months and months ago....
not really knocking the school. in fact, i think that hastings students are often better prepared for the bar, because they work harder and learn more state law than we do. however, i think the OP is doing a disservice to everyone here by implying that many or all people who graduate at the top of their class at hastings are a shoo-in at top firms in the bay area.

it happens, no doubt, but it's relatively difficult to accomplish. and, for what it's worth, i don't believe that the outcome is justified by the quality of hastings students, who tend to be exceptionally bright, motivated and hard-working.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 12:27:49 PM »
You know something is wrong with your ranking system when literally EVERYONE ELSE has hastings ranked higher than you.

If everyone says the earth is flat and only 1 person says its round, that does'nt mean that the 1 person is wrong.

HTH

While I generally agree, your example is a bit off since that is an indisputable fact, whereas this case the number of respondents actually affect the argument in question. For example, if you are debating whether or not a person is popular, and 9 out of 10 people say he is, then the respondents who say he is not ARE wrong, merely from the fact that by definition the responses dictate what the answer to the question is.

In this case, one may argue that USNWR's "clout" in the world of rankings overshadows the other rankings. If they say it is so, then it is likely so because they said it.

HTH

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 03:49:35 AM »
oh yeah and my girlfriend is a 3-L at hastings... she is in the top 25% of her class, not in moot court or law journal, and she summered at, was offered, and accepted an offer at Orrick, the #1 firm in the bay area and a top firm nationally and internationally. She will be making $135,000/year starting next year... all that from getting good but not great grades and not doing any extracurriclars...

just another reason why US News is bogus - The Firms know US News is bogus. That's why hastings is still top 20 for top firm recruitment despite being ranked 43rd in US News.

good for her. how do you explain your classmates who have resorted to posting their resume on craigslist to look for jobs?

I guess they and the Boalt students are in good company.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 03:55:35 AM »
Old thread, but what the hell...

I think Hastings is probably a better school than USNews ranks it.  I certainly think it's better for Bay area biglaw than Davis.

And if you want to work in San Fran, and don't get into a T14, or USC, or UCLA, or maybe Texas, it's probably one of your best options. 

That said, at any school outside the top 14-16, you'll have trouble getting biglaw jobs, and most schools will be regional.  Outside of the top programs, USNews is mainly helpful for comparing schools in the same region.  Given that, the only real beef the OP should have with USNews is ranking Davis over Hastings. 

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2007, 10:45:21 PM »
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 04:53:23 AM »

Excuse me?

For a T14 school, Boalt doesn't have the most secure placement.  Obviously it's better than Hastings, but I wouldn't go around throwing stones if I were Ruskie.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2007, 04:55:21 AM »

Excuse me?

For a T14 school, Boalt doesn't have the most secure placement.  Obviously it's better than Hastings, but I wouldn't go around throwing stones if I were Ruskie.
proof that Boalt's placement isn't secure or lags behind its peers?

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2007, 04:56:34 AM »

Excuse me?

Jesus, are you a f*cking bloodhound?   :)

Placement stats over the last decade.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2007, 05:28:01 AM »

Excuse me?

Jesus, are you a f*cking bloodhound?   :)

Placement stats over the last decade.

Your attempt to cite stats generally, as if they support your contention when in reality they do not, is disingenuous and intellectually dishonest. Post the actual stats and discuss them.