Law School Discussion

f

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
Re: Is 18 too young for LSAT and Law School?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2006, 06:12:39 PM »
Oh yeah, now I'm 6'2 210+, so I'm physically pretty mature (got some acne recently because of stress, but went to a doctor and have some stuff to clear it up now)

Actually, stress can be pretty much ruled out as a cause of acne.

Stress can cause hair loss though.  Good thing i had a full head of hair to begin with.

Booyakasha2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2006, 06:30:55 PM »
Wow, so many people telling me to wait. I really didn't think it mattered much for employment... I was talking more about socially and a bit of brain maturity...

My bro was about the same as me (less than a year older when he graduated than I will be when I graduate) and he's just started his job in NY for 150K (okay it's 147^^)... I think I'm as smart as him. He's just 22.
Still, I think I'm going to assess my self a week before the LSAT. If I feel good, I'll take it and then decide wheter to cancel after I take the test. If I don't feel good, I'll do 08 admissions. Hell, I'll be studying for the LSAT before I finish school so it's not like I'll be doing nothing for too long.

So yea....LSD id deff representative of the average LSAT taker.... ::)

Booyakasha2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2006, 07:07:25 PM »
That was mostly in reference to the thread a few days ago about how representative of a sample the people here on LSD were. 

::) = Was me trying to convey irony.  Wasnt ment for u to feel bad, so dont. 

But to your original point, no I dont think theres anything inhibiting an 18 yr old from goign to law school.  I know a 2nd yr med school student whos at the top of his class, and hes only 21. 

But what i would say is, i think you should take some time off to enjoy life, because after ls starts, you will have very little oppurtunities to do the things one has a chance to do in college.  Do some traveling, get involved in a campaign, in some volunteer work.  Train a dog, build a house, pick up a hobby.  I just graduated college and im 21, so i guess im kind of early?  Im taking a yr off (not really cause im juggling all this ls application crap now) and Im working.  I plan to do a lot of stuff in the meantime though, like traveling, and raising a dog (lookin at Bernese Mountains right now).

Get out there and live man!

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2006, 12:40:26 AM »
And how old are both of you? It's fun to play the hypothetical game, huh? This guy's a Philosophy major and you guys are the one's speculating about possible states of existence. Interesting. What do you guys know about what employers at firms think? I was under the impression that during law school you get good grades, you get summer internships, and then get hired when you graduate. You think the employers really care if you didn't work before law school? I would think they'd be more concerned with how well you know and can apply the law. That's just me though.

Furthermore, you think that somebody that has the drive to graduate at 18 can't work a lot of hours? What possible work experience even closely resembles that of lawyering? Furthermore, what kind of work experience is a Philosophy major going to get anyway? Flipping burgers? I'm sure that's going to look good to potential employers. Look at this guy...instead of going to law school straight out of UG he flipped burgers at Mickey D's. Let's hire him. Basically, this kid's got three options: go to graduate school, go to law school, or go work somewhere that ain't gonna pay him jack. You guys are giving him some pretty good advice. Yeah, just put off your ambitions kid. It's okay to put your life on hold so that you can go waste your time "growing up" or getting "life experiences", whatever the #$!& those terms mean.

Sorry that we dared to try to give this guy some advice in order to help him out. Considering that he came here and asked the question, I'd think that he'd want some honest opinions, but I guess you think he just wanted to hear us tell him how great he is. Fine. Here you go:

You'll get in everywhere you apply!

Better?

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2006, 02:08:40 AM »
there was an 18 year old xoxo regular a year or so back with stellar gpa and lsat who applied to the top 14 schools...and was rejected by every single one.  their id was 'don barzini', i think.

it is difficult to draw conclusion about this one case, though, because we don;t know what was in the minds of the adcomm members. everyone asumed it was the age factor, but hopefully after studying the lsat awhile we've learned to be careful of unsupported conclusions and faulty assumptions.

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2006, 04:19:10 AM »
Sorry that we dared to try to give this guy some advice in order to help him out. Considering that he came here and asked the question, I'd think that he'd want some honest opinions, but I guess you think he just wanted to hear us tell him how great he is. Fine. Here you go:

You'll get in everywhere you apply!

Better?

I find it amusing that people who 1) aren't law school graduates, and 2) aren't even accepted at law schools, and 3) mostly haven't even taken the LSAT are able to offer such sanctimonious advice.

To the OP:  Is law school something you want to do, or something you feel you need to do because you don't see any other option?  If you really want to go to law school, other advice be damned, do it.  If it's something you feel you need to do, you'll need to do some introspection and decide the best course for yourself.

Do you think that simply by virtue of applying, being accepted at, and attending a law school, you somehow know more about the actual PROCESS itself than if you've researched it and are in the middle of it? If you could show me at what point we become qualified to offer advice, and explain what tangible difference there is from now, then I'd appreciate it. TY

From all I've seen, the OP knows that he wants to go to law school and seems pretty genuine in his desires. The only real advice I've offered him so far is to take some time off and get a year or so of WE under his belt, simply because it is a fact that many schools take age/experience into consideration. Furthermore, that year might help him become either more confident that he wants to pursue law, or show him that he has other interests.

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2006, 08:33:31 AM »
Hmmm. What was don barzini's LSAT GPA? I'm scared :(

pretty high. it might still be up on lsn.

again, there's a lot about this story we don't know, so don't stress too much about it. your best bet would be to ask a pre-law advisor at your undergrad or if you can afford it, an law school admissions consultant. their information is likely to be more complete and up to date, not to mention much more appropriate for your specific case than dubious information pulled off the internet.

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2006, 08:37:21 AM »

There was someone on here as well last cycle who was young and rejected/waitlisted at every school, even her safeties. Again, most people concluded that it was due to the apparent lack of maturity she displayed in her PS/DS. I think it's a lot more common for people straight out of UG to come in with no idea what they are getting into and drop out after a semester, and schools will try their best to keep students like that from attending if they see clear signs that a person is not ready.

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2006, 08:54:43 AM »

There was someone on here as well last cycle who was young and rejected/waitlisted at every school, even her safeties. Again, most people concluded that it was due to the apparent lack of maturity she displayed in her PS/DS. I think it's a lot more common for people straight out of UG to come in with no idea what they are getting into and drop out after a semester, and schools will try their best to keep students like that from attending if they see clear signs that a person is not ready.

Could you please tell me gpa/lsat. I'm really getting nervous. But just telling me generalities is useless. Maybe they shot for the stars with bb gun? Maybe it was a slight negative which could be overcome by a perfect GPA and solid LSAT? I'll check out don barz on LSN... but this random guy I need your help to find out their number.

I don't remember her scores, but the woman applied to a normal range of schools- some reaches, some targets, and some clear safeties and was not accepted to any of them. Here's Barzini's LSN http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=donbarzini- as you can see he was not "shooting for the stars" if you will.

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2006, 09:18:25 AM »
there was an 18 year old xoxo regular a year or so back with stellar gpa and lsat who applied to the top 14 schools...and was rejected by every single one.  their id was 'don barzini', i think.

it is difficult to draw conclusion about this one case, though, because we don;t know what was in the minds of the adcomm members. everyone asumed it was the age factor, but hopefully after studying the lsat awhile we've learned to be careful of unsupported conclusions and faulty assumptions.

Simon's Rock grads do pretty well.  My age cohort had people go to Yale, G'Town, Duke, Harvard, and NYU.

If age really is an issue, no one would have gotten in.

I've got the feeling he was lying about his scores.

I just find this so strange because both my bro and sis were 18. My bro got 168 and was accepted to plenty of the top 14 (not top 4) and went to duke. My sis got a 172 and was accepted at columbia.

Honestly, just don't get it...

Why is everyone in your family graduating college at age 18?

I don't know about her family, but you see it a lot at Simon's Rock.  If one sibling does it and likes it, the others tend to as well.  (In fact, I'm the only one who didn't go to SRC. Between my brother, my sister, and my ex, I still spent a crazy amount of time there, though.)