Law School Discussion

f

Re: Is 18 too young for LSAT and Law School?
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2006, 04:32:33 PM »
Getting a job is NOT just about the grades and how well you can apply the law. Getting the grades will just get you the interview, and you have to get yourself the job. In fact, only a small minority of students get a job through OCI, and when you have to distinguish yourself among other applicants in a huge stack of resumes where most people likely have the same GPA, who do you think they're going to choose? People who already exhibit some basic, job-related skills like knowing how to get along with coworkers, presenting yourself in a manner that will impress clients, and experience working in a fast-paced, stressful environment where the demands placed on you are more than just getting the highest grades.

So Yeah....

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »
Getting a job is NOT just about the grades and how well you can apply the law. Getting the grades will just get you the interview, and you have to get yourself the job. In fact, only a small minority of students get a job through OCI, and when you have to distinguish yourself among other applicants in a huge stack of resumes where most people likely have the same GPA, who do you think they're going to choose? People who already exhibit some basic, job-related skills like knowing how to get along with coworkers, presenting yourself in a manner that will impress clients, and experience working in a fast-paced, stressful environment where the demands placed on you are more than just getting the highest grades.

note: this varies depending on the school.

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006, 04:44:07 PM »

note: this varies depending on the school.

I think the average of ABA-approved schools is 25%. Once you get into the top 25, it is a little more than one-third, but generally you cannot count on OCI to get you a job. This is a huge mistake. Only limited types of employers even engage in OCI and if you're not interested in working in those places, or do not qualify for the interviews after you are pre-screened, you are going to have to do the legwork yourself.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2006, 04:58:42 PM »

No lawyers aren't just concerned with how well you apply the law.  When you get to the real world, you'll learn that employers are concerned with more than just how intelligent you are and what you know.  They want to know if you can work with other people, if you can 'sell' the firm and bring in new clients, and if you can handle a competitive professional environment (which is not the same as a competitive academic environment).  Just because someone can do well in school does not mean that they can do well in the workplace.  That's why firms interview you instead of just choosing the students in order of GPA.

I totally agree; all I'm saying is that there is no reason to think a competent 22 year old couldn't work with other people, sell the firm, and handle a competitive professional environment.  True that on average older people can do these things better, but there are many exceptions.  

So Yeah....

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2006, 05:03:14 PM »
loluna for some reason reminds me of another poster that used to be around. 

therefore, i wish her well.

So Yeah....

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2006, 05:13:52 PM »

woah.  weirdness.

that's not her, is it?

not unless she's re-taking the LSAT even though she's at georgetown.  :-\

>:(

So Yeah....

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 05:20:53 PM »
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?action=profile;u=11567

it's actually rather amusing and we hope that you'll leave the name/avatar combo for a while.  :D

jorge

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 05:25:30 PM »
In most cases, it's too young. Additionally, it might hurt your application chances.

My advice: live a little.

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 05:43:57 PM »

woah.  weirdness.

that's not her, is it?

Nope. 

Incidentially, a friend of mine tweaked a picture of me studying so that it's as red as my 'tar.  Steve and Swats were right -- I really do look like her at that angle.  I'll PM it to you. 

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2006, 06:04:26 PM »
Incidentially, a friend of mine tweaked a picture of me studying so that it's as red as my 'tar.  Steve and Swats were right -- I really do look like her at that angle.  I'll PM it to you. 

That's so cool!  Or at least, I assume.  I withhold judgment until I see for myself.

Meh, it'd be better if I had been sitting at EXACTLY the same angle, but I wasn't.

On the plus side, I finally understood how A. -- who is one of my best friends in the whole world -- saw the pic on my LJ and thought I had dyed my hair. 

Well, at least trying to figure out how to convert it into a thumbnail without infringing on anyone's copyrights is making me productively procrastinate.  (Well, that and the cold. >:( )