Law School Discussion

f

143argh

f
« on: September 16, 2006, 12:05:20 PM »
f

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
Re: Is 18 too young for LSAT and Law School?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 12:12:11 PM »
It's foolish to think that you can deceive people of your age for 3 years. If that's your plan, then I'd suggest waiting.

TheCanadian

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 12:46:03 PM »
So. The september test is nearly here. Heh. I remember walking into booksamillion thinking I was going to read every prep by princeton and kaplan and everybody else and do every test ever made including ones from the 80's several times. Naturally, didn't happen.

Lately, I've been feeling that I'm "getting out of shape." Like I'm worse now than I was in at the start of this month. School. Work. All that's been getting to me. Hell, I've even got a saturday 11 to 2 class I'll probably miss because of the LSAT. So maybe I'm just trying to rationalize this; the fact that I'm not doing that well. But, what better way to see if I am then asking you intelligent fellows:

Is 18 too early for the LSAT? I turned 18 July 31. Is my brain going to mature? Am I going to mature and be better able to buckle down and study? I wonder. I'm... overall rather pleased with my dedication to the LSAT. I'm mostly annoyed that I havn't worked hard lately... but later I might be evern more burned out.

Also, is 18 (well... I guess I'll have just turned 19) too early for law school? I don't particularly like being younger than everyone I hang out with... but that's how it's been. I realize I won't be able to drink (...legally...) till I'm a 3L and that might be awkward... plus, I'm telling you right now I'm not going to tell anybody my age. So I'll be making up excuses not to go to the bar, because having people look down on me because I'm younger would just suck.

What do you guys think?
I know the feeling of being the youngest...not only am I born later in the year (december...lsat day!) but all throughout highschool, because of excellerated courses and such, I was a year ahead than most of my peers. And In University the same usually applied (I skip intro courses if possible). In university one of my majors is theatres and theatre people are a big drinking crowd, so in my first year myself and another friend felt really left out when everyone would head to the bar after a performance or w/e. You just got to get used to it and learn to bond over other things than just alcohol lol. Also, dont focus too much on age, rather focus on ability. Yes you're 18, but that doesn't have to put restrictions on anything you're capable of doing, i.e. the LSAT; age is not neccesarily an indicator of intelligence. As for wanting to conquer everything, such as all old LSATs, it's okay to get ahead of yourself, but dont let the failure to do so get you down. Ya dig?

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 01:00:22 PM »
I feel your pain. I skipped a grade in middle school and was always the youngest one amongst my friends in high school, and was really young in college. I'm also graduating at 19 and if i go to law school next fall i'll only be 20. So as far as social life may be concerned, we definately are at a disadvantage.
But as far as maturity goes, i'm a big defender of the idea that maturity is not simply a proxy of one's age, but is determined by your personal life experiences. Granted, older people had more opportunities for more life experiences, but a young person may nevertheless have had the same number of experiences.  
So i think only you could answer the question as to whether you are mature enough to go to law school and etc. If you feel that you are, then you should do it. But if you feel that you should wait, then wait.

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 01:06:13 PM »
It's foolish to think that you can deceive people of your age for 3 years. If that's your plan, then I'd suggest waiting.

If you think I can't, you my friend, underestimate me greatly. And no, I don't plan to fool them for three years. It will simply never even be an issue. Nobody will ever even have it cross their mind that I'm younger than them. And then when I'm nearly 21 I'll say "omg nearly can drink" and they'll be like "WTF that why I never see you at the bars????"

Law school people don't ask each others ages (err I think, why would they?). Hell I've worked at a place for nearly a year, and a 28 year old thought I was well into my 20's. Never said I was older. Never lied. They just assumed it.

Well more power to you, then. Good luck.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 01:07:19 PM »
It certainly sounds like you're mature enough.  Keep in mind law school is only school; if you can study and go to class in college, you can do it in law school.  Many 18 year olds might not be mature enough, ie they go out every night, don't go to class, don't do homework, can't handle living by themselves, but this doesn't sound like it's a problem for you.  

I would caution about the bar thing though...from what I've heard much of the social life in law school revolves around drinking.  Sure you may be able to get out of going to bars without your classmates' knowing your age, but think about what you'd be giving up: hanging out with your classmates, learning about them, making friends.  I would imagine that this would detract from the experience.  

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 01:13:44 PM »
So. The september test is nearly here. Heh. I remember walking into booksamillion thinking I was going to read every prep by princeton and kaplan and everybody else and do every test ever made including ones from the 80's several times. Naturally, didn't happen.

Lately, I've been feeling that I'm "getting out of shape." Like I'm worse now than I was in at the start of this month. School. Work. All that's been getting to me. Hell, I've even got a saturday 11 to 2 class I'll probably miss because of the LSAT. So maybe I'm just trying to rationalize this; the fact that I'm not doing that well. But, what better way to see if I am then asking you intelligent fellows:

Is 18 too early for the LSAT? I turned 18 July 31. Is my brain going to mature? Am I going to mature and be better able to buckle down and study? I wonder. I'm... overall rather pleased with my dedication to the LSAT. I'm mostly annoyed that I havn't worked hard lately... but later I might be evern more burned out.

Also, is 18 (well... I guess I'll have just turned 19) too early for law school? I don't particularly like being younger than everyone I hang out with... but that's how it's been. I realize I won't be able to drink (...legally...) till I'm a 3L and that might be awkward... plus, I'm telling you right now I'm not going to tell anybody my age. So I'll be making up excuses not to go to the bar, because having people look down on me because I'm younger would just suck.

What do you guys think?

Yes.

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 01:26:42 PM »

What do you guys think?

Yes.

Why?

If you're going to graduate college at 19, it means that you must have started absurdly early, and thus have probably not had the chance to develop in the ways that the vast majority of applicants will have. Frankly, 18 year olds universally are more retarded and immature than 21 year olds who are more retarded and immature than 24 year olds. There are plenty of schools where applying directly out of college at 21 or 22 will hurt your chances (NU), so I can only imagine what being 19 would do to them.

Furthermore, why would you want to do this? I've never understood this desire to get through everything so fast that you miss out on really experiencing it. Go out, relax, develop a social life, get a job, etc etc.

What's your GPA/predicted LSAT like? If you're not already planning on going to top schools, you could take an extra year or two to get older, learn more, get WE, and drastically improve your chances of acceptance.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, maybe you're one of the smartest and most responsible people around, even at the young age of 18. But trying to convince someone else  of that is risky, and I don't think you'd do as well as you could by applying now.

Furthermore, your idea that you could remain anonymously young is pretty ridiculous. Sure, you fooled a few people you work with, but thats a lot different than fooling a couple hundred people who you spend all your time with. You'll quickly be outed as "that 19 year old kid" and known school wide.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 01:34:15 PM »
Couple other quick points - looking at your other posts I see a few things:

1) You started college at 14
2) You lived at home the entire time
3) You mentioned that you worked your ass off because your parents made you get 97%+
4) You got your first job in your junior year, not really much WE
5) You got a 143 on your first diagnostic
6) You're a Philosophy major
7) You want to go to a T14

Unless your diagnostic has drastically increased (say to a 168), you probably don't have a shot at the T14. Your motivation seems to be closely focused around meeting your parents desires and getting out of the house finally, which isn't exactly the best reason to go to LS. Your philosophy major isnt exactly going to contribute to the image of you as a realist with lots of life experience to adcoms.

I really cant express how much better i think it would be for you to take a year off, move out of your parents house, get a fulltime job, and take the lsats again in a year, even if you do well in september.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 02:05:35 PM »
You sound like you could greatly benefit from taking a year off to travel, Peace Corps, City Year, work, whatever.  You sound like you don't have much real world experience, and that would definitely make you a better candidate.  You could improve you lsat score, and you'd probably have a much better ps.

I've always been the youngest one around, as I skipped primary one and started college when I was sixteen.  I was 20 when I graduated last, and would have told you that I was mature enough for anything, but in retrospect I can see a huge difference between now and when I graduated.  I will have worked two years by the time I enter law school, and don't regret any of it.  Don't be in such a hurry to go to law school, once you enter the workforce for good you'll be in it for the next 40 years or so.  Despite your great GPA, you have a long way to go in terms of lsat, so taking an extra year might not be a bad idea.