Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accuracy of LSAC "probability of acceptance"  (Read 2866 times)

wemdomer04

• View Profile
Accuracy of LSAC "probability of acceptance"
« on: February 10, 2004, 11:59:56 PM »
What do ya'll think about the calculator available at the LSAC website...for example, if it says a person has a 75+ chance of getting in is that accurate given only LSAT and GPA scores.

--cheers
WEMDOMER

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
Re: Accuracy of LSAC "probability of acceptance"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 12:36:26 PM »
Probably just an approximation. Don't take it as the final say on admission.

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
Note: that was for 2002
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 01:58:23 AM »
I'd honestly say that you should probably knock anywhere from 10-20% off of the percentage given for all tier 1 schools on the LSAC Calc.  Of course, not the top 14 because they will always be impossible to get into but those ranked 20-50 have become much more competitive in the past two years.  Go to lawschoolnumbers.com.  That will be a sobering experience for you.  I know it was for me.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 04:22:53 PM »
I have some real problems with that calculator. First, that calculator is supposed to function by taking the information available in the ABA approved law school guide applicant profiles and matching you up. The problem, however, is that if you actually use the applicant profile to see where you are manually the results are vastly different than from what the calculator will tell you. For example, if you want to get into UF law and you have a 158/3.8 and 2002 data says 49/100 people got in with a 3.75+/155-159 then you know your chances (excluding all the non-quantitative factors) of getting in are about 49%. The calculator will tell you your chances are 60-80%. This is a huge difference, and this happens for every other school. Not even counting the upward trends in student selectivity from year to year, if I had listened to that calculator in deciding where I would apply I would have been rejected across the board. I have tried to talk to the LSAC about this but they generally have simply ignored my e-mails or don't really know what to say (I should have asked to talk to a higher up). It's a scary thought that thousands of people might be using that calculator to determine where they will apply.

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 01:30:33 PM »
I just wanted to echo the post before me. Take me for example, my numbers are 2.95/164. Good LSAT crummy GPA. It tells me I have a 75%+ chance at Tulane, Baylor, WUSTL, and tons of others like that. In reality my odds are much lower. It said I have a 90%+ chance at U. Houston -- dinged super early-- not exactly 90% chance. When I look at their grid-- people with my range of numbers have a 50% chance. I just thing they're methodolgy is bad. Maybe to compare me they ONLY use people with a 2.95 (not a 2.75-2.99 like they should) so the pool they compare me to is very small. -- Whatever their ways of getting the numbers, it sucks.

PS I do not have a 40-60% at BU, WM, WL  :P

Ithacabomber

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 01:28:16 PM »
Guys how do you get to this crummy LSAC calculator. Ive been searching and no luck. I just wanna see what my chances are for law with 141 and 3.4

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 02:34:46 AM »
http://www.lsac.org

then go to the link from the left entitled
"Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools"

then follow that link to "LSAC data search"

then you can type in your information...

if you still are having trouble try this link:

http://officialguide.lsac.org/docs/cgi-bin/home.asp

Have fun!  ;) ;D :)
IVY
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

joegibbsiii

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 12:20:09 PM »
Just remember that the 'calculator' uses 2002 data.  And applications were up like 15% from 2002 to 2003 and are up again here in 2004.  So, the info being used is pretty out of date.