Law School Discussion

Boston University DS

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Boston University DS
« on: September 16, 2006, 09:38:07 AM »
My DS is almost two pages with 12 pt font double-space however BU wants theirs to be 1 page. They have no specific instructions in terms of font and whether it should be double-spaced or not. Would it be acceptable to make it 11pt font 1.5 spacing? If I do it fits perfectly without having to cut out much of it.

xonkdt

• View Profile
Re: Boston University DS
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 10:58:54 AM »
For what sort of things would one write a diversity statement? I hear people talking about writing them and I just dont know if i qualify.

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 11:30:53 AM »
Thanks so much for the advice I agree it was pushing the limits. I did some editing and made it shorter it is now 12pt font but 1.5 spacing, hopefully that works. Cheers

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 12:38:52 PM »
The first version of my DS was a page and a half.  Then I realized that I was including too much back story.  I cut it down to one page even and it turned out all the better, I think.  The DS should be much more straight forward than the PS.  It doesn't need to be flowery or have any sort of narrative...just get to the point.  Also, this is an optional/extra essay, so don't take up too much of the reader's time.
So my suggestion would be to go through and cut out all the extraneous tidbits instead of reformatting the version you have now - they will notice the spacing/font differences and won't appreciate them.

Exactly what I thought. To the point: I am diverse because A and B. Examples of A. Examples of B. Therefore I am diverse.

xonkdt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 05:06:55 PM »
can anyone answer my question? pleeeeeaaaaase

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 05:34:10 PM »
can anyone answer my question? pleeeeeaaaaase

Anyway you believe that you are different from the rest of the applicant pool be it your ethnicity, weird upbringing, work, undergrad major and other life experiences.