Law School Discussion

Optional/Recommended LORS--Do that many people even like me?

Zam

• View Profile
Optional/Recommended LORS--Do that many people even like me?
« on: September 14, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »
I mean really. Some schools say they require one or two LORS but they "recommend" three or four recommendations. Are people planning to get these "extra" recommendations? Does four seem completely over the top to anyone else?

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Optional/Recommended LORS--Do that many people even like me?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 09:53:46 AM »
Quality beats quantity. Don't beat yourself up over it.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 12:32:12 PM »
LOL, I think my cat wouldn't be a good recommender, she is very reticent and might come accross to the adcomms as luke warm. My dog would be better.

So who did you use for your three recommendations? Right now I have a professor and my boss, that seems like enough to me.

Three professors.  My boss doesn't know anything about my law school ambitions.   ;)

It took me a while to build up the nerve to ask him. Part of me knew he would be happy for me and enthusiastically say yes, another part was somehow afraid of telling him at all. In the end it was fine. I'm young enough that I doubt anyone expects me to stay where I work forever.

I'm currently in a management training program, so the whole point is for us to stay forever!  Ideally they're grooming us for sr mgmt, so I definitely can't tell them I'm heading to law school a year before I go.  I have to lor's from professors, but I'm trying to decide if I should get another one, and if so, from who.

I graduated last year, and the only professional option I can think of is a lawyer that I did some accounting work for the summers after my freshman and sophomore years.  The obvious drawback is that I worked for him a while ago (2001 and 2002).  I think he'd write a good letter if I gave him my info (resume, ps, etc), but it would be more from that info than personal experience.  Do you think I should ask him or just stick with my two current lors?

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 01:20:02 PM »
Hmmm. Well that's a sucky situation for you MoniLi. I can't claim to be any authority on LORs. I guess I would say if you think this person could write a particularly strong LOR it would outweigh the distance you have from that job. Are you still in touch with them at all?

umm, its kinda a family friend situation (my dad used to do the accounting for his law firm), so I could easily get in contact with him.  I think he could write a strong LOR, but I'm not sure about someone writing a lot about stuff that they haven't experienced firsthand.  Can people reading the letters tell?

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 01:44:03 PM »
Why don't you write a rough draft that he can then tweak to suit his "voice?" That may help.